Stihl FS110 4 stroke edger

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sharpcut 1, May 1, 2008.

1. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Checked the valves, both shut, .003-.004 clearance, unit has spark, pulled muffler off to make sure it's not plugged. Won;t start. Put fuel in the cylinder and it gets a pop out of it, but doe'snt run. Could the key on flywheel have sheared?? Bring piston up to top dead center, coil is just past magnet.Plug was wet after I primed it, tried fresh plug, just getting a little pop. Any help appreciated. Thanks, jOHN

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I`m assuming you checked the spark screen as well.

Hard to tell, probably not. You`ll need to obtain a repair manual, or remove the clutch (requires special tools) to check if the key is broken. The 110 series has a cast-in flywheel key, so you`ll need a new flywheel if it is. Does it give bright or poor spark ? Also check coil air gap.

Perhaps someone knows a better way of checking this. (I don`t own any 4-mix)

Either it`s running rich on fuel or it`s not getting fuel after you flood it with the primer and then runs dry.

Check simple stuff first : clogged air filter, fuel filter, fuel lines, tank venting, low and high-end mixture adjustment screws. I think (not 100% sure) the 110 engine has a external impulse tube to the carb, make sure it`s not cracked or slipped off.

Beyond that, I`d try cleaning the carb, rebuild or just replace, but check all simple things first.

Hope this helps. Any other suggestions ?

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Forgot to ask. Did you check the valve gap at the appropriate flywheel position ?