1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stihl fs110

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TriplePLandscaping, Jul 16, 2005.

1. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

i currently have a stihl fs85xtreme straight trimmer and have been looking at the new models. the 110 caught my eye. what are your guy's thoughts on it, and whats the diff between the 110R and 110, is it just the bike handles? and how is that 4mix system working out?
  2. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Stay away from the RX models, If there is an X on the end it doesn't have the solid shaft, no atachments allowed.

I love all of my 4-mix equipment lots of torque and never had a seconds trouble with any of it. :)

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I been seeing post about the Stihl 4 mix but I'm still in the dark as to what kind of engine it is. Could someone fill me in on the 4 mix vs conventional Stihl products?
  4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

The 4 mix uses 50:1 mix gas as do all stihl products. It is a 2 stroke motor with an intake and exhaust valve. So basically a 2 stroke with 4 stroke characteristics, to meet emission standards. I don't like the idea personally
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

IT IS A TRUE 4-STROKE!!! Jees, why do people have such a difficult time understanding this??? It uses gas/oil mix to lubricate the needle bearings on the crankshaft. This eliminates the need to have a crankcase full of oil. :dizzy:
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm just guessing they are heavier than a two stroke but lighter than a traditional 4 stroke? Is Stihl still going to make the reguar 2 strokes?
  7. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the KM110. It is a bit heavy, but I like it. It has lots of power, and is very fuel efficient. I have the trimmer and edger attachment for mine. I keep the edger attachment on it, and have the trimmer head for back up use.

They are a bit pricy, but I am very pleased thus far.
  8. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

The FS 110 engine is superior so far. what applicatin you put it on is your own choice. The engine itself will power anything you put on it. If you buy a trimmer with an X on the end of it, don't plan on running an atachment. end of story.
  9. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

the new fs130 you can put all the attachment on and has 1.7hp.pleantly of power and torque. not much diffrance in weight to a comparable hp 2stroke.
  10. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got mine two weeks ago and absolutely love it. The way the dealer explained it to me is it is a 4-stroke that uses a gas/oil mix, and in the exhaust stage the burnt gas goes out but the oil stays in the lubricate the engine. Thats why it does not a big heavy oil pan.