stihl fs130 trimmer vs fs250 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redmax fan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

im wondering if theres a big difference in power

this being because if i get the 4 cc less powerful fs130 i
    can also buy a hedge trimmer and edgder attatchment for it

where as with the fs250 you cant use different attatchments

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I am wondering why the FS250 cannot take any attachment option too. This is like the big Redmax BCZ3001, it also cannot take any of the attachment options like the rest of the trimmers. Anyone have an answer to that?
    Thanks

3. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, but I'm leaning towards buying another Stihl for an extra trimmer. I have an FS80 but I want a little more power for that really thick stuff. I also want something that will turn and burn a blade for that really thick stuff.

4. cuttenup

cuttenup LawnSite Member
    from NETN

If you want something that will cut the big stuff with out any problems the
    Fs 250 is perferct. As for the attachments question. According to the Stihl rep. that I spoke to he said that you could not run attachements on the 250 because of the gear heads on the attachments. The 250 has a larger shaft in it than the rest of Stihl trimmers which would not allow the attachment to work properly. I have had a 250 for several years and love it. Its a power house. I bought a FS 90 to run my attachment's on. I can't speak for the 130 because Ive never used one.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Does anyone use the 130 or 250 for everyday trimming?

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i saw a brand new FS130 in a customers garage the other day. he said it had never been started and i could try it out. man that thing has some power. I believe my next trimmer will be a FS90 though

7. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I got a fs130 to clear heavy grass/shrubs/weeds/trees and it works great. I don't use it for commercial use, but I cut a lot of areas with it. I had it running full throttle for over 3 hours last weekend, only stopping for fuel. One pull for the first start of the day and every start after that. I have the bike handles and it flies though heavy growth never bogging down. On the heavy stuff I use the 3 point blade. On grass and weeds I use string. For average trimming, I can't see the need for one this big though. I do like the 4 mix compared to the previous Stihl trimmers I've had. It sounds like it's running rough or slower but once you get used to it, you realize the old 2 cycles have an annoying whine. The fs130 is a powerful trimmer.

8. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a couple of them and the difference in power between it and the 250 cannot be noticed in your hands... We mostly use them for brush cutting and the FS90s for trimming.... which have plenty of power for that job even in thick wet grass... as a trimmer the 130 is actually overkill but for running attachments it's great.

9. jamie0700

jamie0700 LawnSite Member

redmax fan i have a fs 130 that is about a year old an only used it a couple of (8-9) times as i have other trimmers that are lighter and powerful enough for everyday use. I will say that it is very strong and easy to start. Torque is probably equal to fs 250. I have a hedge trimmer attachment for mine and that is what i have used it for. Have only used string trimmer head 2-3 times, and you wan't bog it down. I might would be interested in selling mine as I don't use it that often.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The 130 has plenty of power to do just about anything you may want to do. I have the KM130 and it will spin up a brush blade like there is no tomorrow. It also has plenty of power to cut a new edge on old growth.