Stihl FS199RX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smashingpumpkins64, Jul 7, 2008.

1. smashingpumpkins64

smashingpumpkins64 LawnSite Member

My Poulan trimmer finally quit on me and i need a new weed whacker. Is it too risky to go with the 4Mix? I know the only other Stihl trimmers still 2 stroke are the FS 80 and 250, so what should i go with? There is also an Echo dealer nearby. Suggestions?

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The 100RX is a piece of junk. I have one and I hate it. Go with the FS-250R, I have two of them and me and my guys love them. Its a little heavier but the power more than makes up for it. Its a good proven design thats not going away anytime soon.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'll be the first to say go with a 4Mix. How much trimming are you doing? if you are only doing normal trimming you DON'T need something like an FS110R,FS100RX,FS250R etc. Go with a simple powerful FS90 R and you'll be plenty happy.

4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with that.

5. smashingpumpkins64

I plan on putting at least 4 to 7 hours on it per week during the season. I mow two 10+ acre farms and there is alot of heavy trimming.

6. kman8674

kman8674 LawnSite Member

i just bought the stihl fs100rx and i dont like it at all throttle to stiff its either too much power or not enough it doesnt even come close to my strato redmax

7. Lazer_Z

from NJ

OK, Well then if you need the power and larger displacement you have 4 choices with Stihl as far as power.

FS 100 RX 31.4cc, 10.4lbs
    FS 110 R 31.4cc, 11.7lbs
    FS 130 R 36.3cc, 12.3lbs
    FS 250 R 40.2cc, 13.0lbs

You can also get the 110,130 & 250 in a bike handle version.

8. smashingpumpkins64

I was looking at the FS 100 RX. Have you had any problems with carbon bulid up on the valve? That seems to be the downfall of the 4mix.

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought my FS100RX in april. So far I am very pleased with it. Most of my yards don't have very heavy trimming so I don't use it as heavily as you will. So far I have had no problems with it and hope it stays that way.

10. Lazer_Z

from NJ

I don't have an FS 100RX, but I just recently traded in a 4 year old FC110 with the same power plant and it still ran like new. I have an FS 90 R, KM130 R, HT 101 and a BR600. My Stihl's and dealer have treated me well. The carbon thing seems to be hit and miss with guys, I never had any engine trouble from my FC110 in the 4 years I had it. From what I've read the full synthetic oil combined with mid grade or higher fuel is the trick to a healthy engine.