1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS45 Trimmer Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffithtlc, Jul 19, 2004.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

Has anybody else had trouble with the FS45 trimmers bogging down? I know they are basically a homeowner trimmer but we just bought 2 of them this year and they are bogging down.

They have very little power. They ran fine and just like that there is no power. It did not get worse as time went on, it happened in a snap of a finger.

Thanks alot in advance
  2. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

you may have a clogged spark arister...it will still run but has no power...its located in the exhaust muffler...just a shot
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The spark arrestor would be my guess as well.
    If you are unfamiliar with them it is a small screen in the exhaust port that will need cleaning or replacing,they get clogged from carbon buildup. It's a common fix.
  4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

You guys were right. It is the spark arrestor. We cleaned them out and they run good for about 2/3 of a day and bog down again. I am going to order some new ones.

Today we were mowing some townhouses when they started to bog down so I took the spark arrestor out and ran the trimmer. It ran with full power. (has a deeper sound but not any louder than before) Is there any problems with doing this or is it a bad idea? May sound like a dumb question but the trimmer ran fine without but if something can happen I don't want to do that.

Thanks for any help.
  5. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

It will be fine to run without the arrestor, just louder like you said. It's only there to stop hot sparks from coming out the exhaust and starting a fire (which I have yet to see). I have ran mine that way for two years with no porb's. Even yanked the one out of my dirt bike and increased the horsepower on it.
    happy trimming
  6. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Your oil/fuel mixture may have too much oil. Do you run a 50:1 mix? Even a 40:1 should be alright.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Like budracin said, just leave the spark arrestor out. Those things cause more problems than they solve.
  8. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

You might also try to run amsoil oil in your fuel. Suppose to be alot less carbon build up with it. I am an amsoil dealer, but I have yet to order it for my 2 strokes. Next time I order... I'll keep you posted.