1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS450 Brushcutter vibration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dogberry, May 28, 2008.

1. Dogberry

Dogberry LawnSite Member

Hi Guys
    Im looking at the Kawasaki KBH43A and the Sthil FS450 brush cutters at the moment, the Kawasaki is $400 cheaper in the UK compared to the Stihl FS450. Anyone have any experience of the anti vibration quality of the Stihl, is it worth an extra $400 to buy Stihl? Hell the Kawasaki is a good price, but they must save the money somewhere.

Any views appreciated.

2. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I am the biggest Stihl fan out there. However, I did branch out and buy a Husky 240R clearing saw in 98' and that thing is a beast. It will take down 4 inch trees in a split second and nothing else will do what a clearing saw will do. With a weedeater head, it's like the biggest weedeater you can find on steroids and slings stuff 30 feet-literally(Invest in a helmet with ear protection and a screen-best $50 you could spend). As far as vibration, I did manage to do some damage to the internals of my shaft and it vibrates more now. My mistake was swinging it like an axe into a tree. That's a mistake-you have to let it eat like a chainsaw or you'll do damage. I plan to purchase a Stihl FS 350,450,or 550 as my next machine. I didn't even know kawi made anything to compare. My money is on the Stihl. Good luck and let me know how it does. :drinkup:

3. Dogberry

Dogberry LawnSite Member

Thanks JB

Kawa is pushing the stuff very competitively here in the UK, one word Ive heard is getting parts is difficult.

The Stihl FS450 is almost $1000 here, mind you we do pay $12 a gallon for petrol.

Dogberry

4. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Hey Dogberry, do they sell Husky's where you are at? They still make th 240R which is what I have and I paid $650 for mine-lot less than $1000. I've had it since 98' and I couldn't imagine needing anymore than that in a clearing saw. Get the N45 head for it and you're set. Just a thought.

5. Dogberry

Dogberry LawnSite Member

Hi jb

Yes they do have Huskys here in the UK, however the Stihl dealerships and spares back up is outstanding.

In the end I bought an FS480, the thing is a monster bags of power. I use a mowing head with it at the moment. People have said the 450 is heavy but I dont find it so. The lack of vibration through the handle bars means you can go 5-6 hours without getting the buzzing feeling in your hands. In the time I have had it I dont think Ive ever had it revving flat out. In the end the 480 was about $20(US) more than the 450, so I thought well what the hell. The place I bought it off had never sold a 480, they said they had call for 400, 450 or the FS500. I dont notice the fuel consumption being that heavy, well compared to a 44cc brush cutter. To achieve a real cut in fuel consumption I guess you would need a 4 stroke engine. In the end its tools for the job and the customer pays.

The FS480 is a great tool and I would buy it if asked a second time.

6. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Good deal! I don't think they have that model here in the US. I will probably go with a Stihl next time. When you need that kind of power, nothing else will do.