Stihl FS55 or Echo SRM210 for home use?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gomboman, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Gomboman

Gomboman LawnSite Member

Hello folks. I've been lurking here for awhile. I'm not in the Commercial Lawn Maintenance business. To be honest, I can't afford to hire a service so I do all my own yard work. I actually enjoy the work, since I'm in doors all day long.

Anyway, I need to purchase a new trimmer for my small Southern California Tract home. My lot is only 7,000 ft. My next door neighbor hires a professional service and they use a SRM230. I talked to the owner and he told me that a SRM210 or a FS55 would be fine for my small yard. Both models are around $220 in my area. The trimmer will be used every week to trim around a few trees and to edge around my driveway and side walks.

I was also thinking about the SRM210SB since I could attach a edger to it. Maybe that's over kill? I've never been good at edging with a weed eater.

I was hoping maybe you folks could steer me in the right direction? I'll stay away from Home Cheapo if I go with the Echo. :D Thanks for your help.
  2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a FS55 for about 4 years now. It's a fantastic trimmer.
    It's been used primarily for home use, but I had a 100ft ditch that it handled every week. It has also been used very hard with a saw blade, cutting line-of-sight through the woods when I was a Land Surveyor.
    It starts every single time on the second pull - first pull w/ choke it fires, second pull wide-open throttle with no choke - It's yet to fail.

My experience with the FS55 is the reason I also bought a 55 series blower and edger.

Buy the Stihl, you wont regret it.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a stihlfs55 that I use. Maybe 1 tank of fuel a week in it. It is 3 years old and going strong with no problems. I cant comment on the echo, I have never used one
  4. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

Many landscapers here on lawnsite use the Echo SRM-210 and love them. I like the larger SRM-260S but you don't need the extra power.

The Echo is lighter, better balanced and has a longer life engine than the Stihl FS-55. Easier to start as well.

That being said, both brands are good and you won't go wrong with either one.
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Have you considered redmax? You can get a bcz2600s for about 300 and it will last better than the two you mentioned. If you want to save 30 dollars get that model without the steel shaft.
  6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The Echo will be great for you, the split shaft (SB) with the edger attachment even better! The edger attachment will permit you to attain professional results; a clean, neat edge is the finishing touch to a fine job.

Echo, along with Redmax, is the best on today's market in terms of emissions compliance, overall quality, balance, weight, and limited vibration. If you want an alternative to Echo, explore Redmax. They also offer an attachment series. Redmax is a bit more expensive, but IMO, the best!
  7. Gomboman

Gomboman LawnSite Member

Do most of the professionals here use Edger attachments with their string trimmers? Just about everyone in my area uses a string trimmer for edging. I've never had any luck with this technique. I actually use an old school three wheel trimmer my dad gave me. It's over 20 years old and is very ugly but I get a perfect edge with it. There are some areas that I can't get to with this trimmer though. The Split Shaft model might be good for me since my edging technique is poor with a conventional string trimmer. Maybe I just need to work on my technique?

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I would say most pros use stick edgers, like the attachment but with it's own power head. Some use string trimmers. Nothing wrong with your push edger except weight and manueverablilty, but for a guy using it all day, those are big factors.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have both or should I say all 3. I use a 3 wheel edger for long distances of edging, a dedicated stick edger for smaller sidewalks, and I also use a string trimmer for weekly maintenece of the edge. Depending on the growing season I can use a string trimmer for 2 weeks then I need to clean it up good with a blade edger. It is hard to create and edge with a string trimmer where you cant get with a blade edger 1st.
  10. Gomboman

Gomboman LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great info. I think I would like to get something like a SRM210SB so that I can attach the edger attachment sometimes to get a really good edge. I think I have to go way up in class for a Split Shaft Stihl. Any other models I should look at for a Split Shaft model that will take attachments at a reasonable price