stihl fs55

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kickin grass, Feb 12, 2007.

1. kickin grass

kickin grass LawnSite Member

anyone have problems with this trimmer?

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

echo had a huge problem with carbs this last year, do to the emmisions on them. i believed stihl did too but not sure, take it back to your dealer if its new, they should put a new carb on it

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure about your echo carb problem I have serviced a couple of mine and they sure seem exactly like the older one from design....maybe a quality problem of some kind?

4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the stihl the little one around 200 bucks 27 cc? If so, yes they are junk, i have 2 of them i blew one up in under a month. and both of them have been in the shop more than on my trailer

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you are spending only 200 for a new trimmer regardless of brand then you are most likely buying a homeowners version and trying to use it for commercial purposes. If that is the case then it should come as no surprise that that they are in the shop a lot. I believe that my Stihl cost around 400 and gets used daily all day with no problems yet. The Stihl fs 55 is from their Homescapers series which means it is a homeowners version and is not designed to hold up to commercial applications. Homeowners equipment is designed to be used once a week for 30 minutes or so, the amount of time it takes a homeowner to maintain his yard. If you want a trimmer to hold up to daily use all day every day then get a commercial trimmer.

6. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i used to have an FS55. before i started my lawn service i had one for about 4 years and LOVED it. i'd mainly use it at home but i also used it a few times when i'd help my cousin with the lawn service before i bought him out. it is a great unit in my opinion as i never had a real problem with it.... EVER. the only problem (if you consider it a real problem) i had with it was that after it got hot the clutch would stick a little bit and keep the head turning at idle. as far as it running poorly i've never had a problem. i did take care of it but never had a clogged carb, exhaust, vibrations.... etc. as much as i loved this unit it IS made for a homeowner. if you have a lawn service go bigger.... at least an FS80 or equivalent. i sold my FS55 to a neighbor and bought an FS250 as my powerhorse trimmer for cutting thick brush and large areas cuz i can run LONG string and i have a redmax bcz2500 as my all around trimmer. all in all..... residentially i highly recommend it but commercially i wouldnt.

7. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno, I asked the dealer and they told me it was commercial that stihl straight shafts were all commercial,the bent shafts were for home owner. You are probally right that it is not. In my experience I have found non of them to hold up under everyday use,(Iv'e had various echos, shindawas, shihls, huskys) so I just buy the cheapest lightest one and after the warritty I junk them.I have used both the cheap and the expensive the only difference i have seen is the expensive one weighs alot more and has more power ,but i don't think they are any better.Infact i feel that some of the cheap ones are better i had the cheapest shindawa they made it said homeowner on it it lasted 6 years with no problems. So i figured i would buy another so i bought one of those blue one (around 400) in 2 months its made me so made i threw it in the corner of the garage and that is where it still is that was 1 1/2 yrs ago. What brand do you suggest? I bought those 2 stihls and 3 huskys last year the huskys are mid grade ones and seem alright but they only got used from about the beginning of august till the end of the season

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

fs 55 is not a comercial trimmer you have to at least get a fs80 to get a commercial trimmer

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

2 low cost trimmers i recommend are the new shindawia home pro and the huskys . i bought a husky 323 and its lasted 2 seasons so far with no probs.

10. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Spend the extra money and get a FS-90.