Stihl FS55

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cranesrule, Mar 21, 2007.

1. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

Just purchased a Stihl FS55 trimmer and I have a few questions. The trimmer I have used for the past 9 years is a Homelite, and it was never a really good runner so in reality I guess I don't actually know how well a trimmer should run.
    1) At idle, should there be a little lope or miss to the engine? The Stihl does this. It stays running but it misses/chugs a little.
    2) Also should there be an occasional miss at full throttle? It rus with excellent power, but again I can feel it miss occasionally. Just not sure how smooth a 2 cycle should be.
    3) How do you get the spark plug out? I don't see a way to get a socket on it without smashing the boot or the wire. Do you have to take the shroud off?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same trimmer and it's worked flawlessly over the last two seasons. It shouldn't be missing at all. I bet you have a fouled plug. You can also try adjusting the idle up a bit so it doesn't bog. At speed it should run without hesitation. As for removing the sparkplug, its just like on any piece of power equipment, you need to remove the boot/wire and unscrew it with a SP socket.

3. cranesrule

I cannot get a spark plug socket on it without smashing the wire or boot up against the shroud.

4. cranesrule

Nevermind, I got the plug out. It is a very tight space to get a socket into. However, the plug is not fouled, and the trimmer idles like crap. There is also a loud metallic rattle (clutch?) upon acceleration. I am thinking about taking this trimmer back and going with the echo 210.

5. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it back and get it replaced/repaired under warranty........or go with the 210......either way they are both good trimmers.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Are you using a 93+ gas and and 2.6 oil? Also pull out the spark screen.

7. cranesrule

The dealer fueled it for me at purchase. The trimmer has only been run about 15 minutes so I doubt the spark screen is at fault.