Stihl FS70 problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GreenBlade, Aug 11, 2012.

1. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

So I picked up a STIHL FS70 on monday, new, and I really like it. No problems with performance at all as far as I can tell, but the exaust seems to be shooting out oil! It's getting everywhere and I jst didnt know if this was normal? I am having it looked at regardless this coming monday. I'll put up some pictures so you guys can get a better idea of what I;m saying here. Just let me know what you guys think; all you mechanics out there!

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

You are running 50:1 oil right? Also try removing the spark arrestor(sp) if you aren't in a dry area.

3. GreenBlade

Yes 50:1 oil. It was even doing with the gas the dealer put in for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a bad carb or the engine isn't burning the mix well enough.

5. GreenBlade

here are the pics.

photo 1-1.JPG

photo 3-1.JPG

photo 2-1.JPG

6. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

Dude that can't be good bring it back and try a new one.

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I don't think that's good. mine doesn't do that and never has.

I'm using regular 87 octane mixed with the grey stihl oil bottles.

8. mefast

mefast LawnSite Member
    from florida

Return it........

9. POWDER SL UT

POWDER SL UT LawnSite Member

In my experience, 99% of time I've seen this, it's almost always the oil to gas ratio is mixed to high. I'm also always told everytime, the mix is 50:1, so it has to be mechanical.

Mistakes happen, someone grabs a 2 gal mix for 1 gal or a 2.5 gal mix for a 2 gal gas. Even at the dealer, the help could have screwed up the mix that was put into the unit.

Almost always, I replace with new fuel mix and run it for a bit to flush the excess oil out first, then pull the muffler off and wipe out the exhaust port, rinse out the muffler and spark-arr ester before it bakes on. 99% of the time it goes away with just these steps. It's also always best to replace the fuel before breaking down a carb, if not, to find out later that its was in fact the oil mix was in fact to high.

Your dealer will take care of you, but it would also be a good learning experience for you learn how to take care of your equipment at a young age, by attempting a simple problem solving first yourself.

10. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Don't mess with it---get it to the dealer, pronto, let them solve Stihl's problems. Tearing into things may void your warranty, depending on the attitude of your dealer.