Stihl FS70 problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GreenBlade, Aug 11, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

don't know how good of a dealer you have but I would expect the dealer to work with until the issue is COMPLETELY resolved. even if that means taking the second one back.

the fact that both of these trimmers aren't even a week old SHOULD be in your favor.

I wish I could help more because the fs70 is a great trimmer besides the plastic housing design. you have to undo the throttle assembly every time you want to remove the outer plastic shell.

as I said I haven't had your issue. I use 87 octane with the grey 2 gallon mix.

2. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I have to know what happened. Happy ending?

3. tagman9111

tagman9111 LawnSite Member

I just bought this trimmer about a month ago and I have the same problem. Around the muffler has a lot of oil. I use the same gas (91 octane and stihl hp ultra) in my stihl blower and no problems. I'm going to contact the dealer to see what they say.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. burtle

burtle LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same trimmer. There's a little oil but nothing like yours. I've used mine about 10-12 times. Runs great. I think the amount mine has is normal wear and tear.

5. crankincraig

crankincraig LawnSite Member

Could it be possible that the Stihl ultra oil being fully synthetic is not allowing the rings to seat properly? I know on c 4 cycle engine that most of the time synthetic oil is not recommended during break in , Kohler for example recommends 50 hours.

6. tagman9111

tagman9111 LawnSite Member

Not sure. I used the same mix on the bg86 blower and no issues like this whatsoever.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Good answer and they need to stop using that high octane gas. Get red armour and try it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I'm embarrassed! I am so so picky on my fuel mix--93 octane non ethanol gas, very precise measurements, always fresh fuel mix, major brand of oil, mixed at 50:1---or so I thought! Mixing a fresh batch of fuel today, just for kicks, decided to check everything out. For the last year or so, I've been using Echo Red Armor oil, 2 1/2 gal bottle dumped into my (very precise) 2 gal of gas--been mixing at 40:1.

Yes mistakes can and DO happen!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

We don't fix equipment under warranty, that is why it has a warranty, bring it back to the people who sold it to you, they need to honor said warranty, thank you, have a nice day.