Stihl FS74 trimmer line feed problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Phil-l-Fixit, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Phil-l-Fixit

Phil-l-Fixit LawnSite Member

Hi to everyone. THis is my first post on here. Great forum.
    My Stihl trimmer is feeding out line almost continuously. A whole reel full is getting chopped into little bits about 1" long in under 3 minutes. It has never done this before although the head is quite worn in various places.
    The line was wound on correctly. The reel was inserted correctly. I re-charged it and tried it 3 times in total and it does the same thing every time.
    Ha sanyone any idea what is wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

Phill (Australia)
  2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

You might get by with just replacing the bump knob, the part that you coil the line onto, but it would probably be money well spent to just replace the whole line assembly on the end of the unit.

Good luck,
  3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I had the same trouble with mine.After i replaced the whole head it was fine.So get the whole head and youll be sending them wedds back to there maker
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Could you have dropped the spring out of the head, or is it broke? The eyelets are replaceable but it sounds like you got bigger problems.
  5. Phil-l-Fixit

Phil-l-Fixit LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. There is no spring in the head, but the whole thing looked very worn. The spool was broken in a couple of places and the eyelets were almost cut through so I went for a complete new head. It is going great now :)
    I am going to sell it while it is going good and buy a 49cc Kawasaki. It will be a lot heavier, but hopefully I wont have to carry it for so long because it will be faster to use. Thats the theory anyway. :D