Stihl FS76 Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dvblandscaping, Oct 29, 2007.

1. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

I have been using an FS 76 FS76 for a few years now.

During the first half of acceleration it seems to have developed a shudder (bad vibration) after it is wide open it seems to run fine, but it is slow to accelerate and clearly isnt running right.

It runs fine without the gearbox attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Where can I get a gearbox?

Also, what do I need to attach a blade to this model? I have the blade but to I need a special screw or mounting kit?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You can get a gearbox from the dealer but they're not cheap, one thing to do is remember to get a tube of Stihl grease (like $8) and grease up the gearbox once / year via that little bolt on the box itself (the tube screws into it, then just squeeze). You might try that first anyhow, more so if it's never been done, then once / year, always lube those gearboxes.

I learned that the hard way myself, thou my oldest one still works.
    I grease them things religiously nowadays :laugh:

3. outdoorpower

outdoorpower LawnSite Member

When removing the gearbox you've eliminated the engines given load, take the string out of the head and try it again, if finding no engine bogg your problem will be in the carbueration, or carbon build in the exhaust

4. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

I took the string insert out, its just the empty bump head housing without the screw and the actual mechanism inside.

It still runs with the shudder. Are you saying that may be my problem? Carbon buildup?