Stihl FS80 clutch bearing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Saw Dr, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Saw Dr

Saw Dr LawnSite Member

Anyone here know if the clutch bell bearing on the FS75/80/85 series is a standard off-the-shelf item? I know, Stihl wants you to replace the whole housing. I'm not doing that for a growly bearing. I think it is a 6202 or something similar. Can't remember, and don't want to trash what is there trying to remove it. It is working right now.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember correctly the bearing is molded into the housing, I can try and check one tomorrow to be sure...

3. Saw Dr

Saw Dr LawnSite Member

Thanks. The one I have here has a pretty rusty output spline (square) drive on the clutch bell. Even if I take off the external expanding ring, I doubt the clutch bell will slide out without force. Using force will almost certainly destroy what's left of the bearing.

If it is molded in, I see me using a sealed bearing and JB weld to re-install the new one.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok checked it out and it is a molded assembly your dealer should have for around $36.00 I have never tried the jb thing so good luck let us know how it holds up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Saw Dr

Saw Dr LawnSite Member

This trimmer (and several others) are for sale. I'm not spending $36 on it. I think I have a spare housing somewhere here. I'm going to dig one out, and try pressing that bearing out from the shaft side. Worst case, I ruin a junk housing. Like I said, the trimmer works fine and the clutch doesn't drag. I can hear the bearing making noise, though, and don't want to sell it that way if I can fix it for reasonable $.