Stihl FS80 trimmer issue...........

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chrisexv6, Aug 21, 2004.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Im not sure if this is normal or not, and by the time I was able to use my shiny new trimmer, my dealer was closed. Figured Id run it by you guys.

Its just about brand new, one tank thru it. When running, at idle, the trimmer seems to "torque over" quite a bit. Like its twisting in my hands. Obviously, a lot of torque is a good thing :) but I wasnt sure if its not running right for me.

Otherwise its great!! Lots of power once off idle, trims very nicely, etc. Im guessing the torque-over thing might actually be normal, but Ill leave it up to those who have used these trimmers for a while to chime in.

Thanks!!!
    -Chris

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Homeowner you have to remember that stihl is a long way from craftman,from what your saying it's you.

Just take care of it. :blob2:

3. chrisexv6

from CT

Heh, one would tend to think a cheap Crapsman would vibrate more than a 260.00 Stihl.

But Im just a homeowner, so what do I know.

-Chris

4. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

chrisexv6,

I have the same trimmer (it rules) and I dont have any problem with it. However, I dont know what you mean when you say "tourqe over". Can you elaborate and I'll see if I can help?

5. chrisexv6

from CT

I just ran it again to make sure of what I was seeing.

With the trimmer at idle, the string head is not engaged (obviously). While Im holding it there, the trimmer "twists" in my hand. i.e. at certain intervals it will twist to my left, then back off, twist left, back off, etc (I call it "torquing over"). Almost like its running rough.

Hearing the engine, it might be running a little rough, but maybe thats just because it needs to break in?

After I come off of idle, it seems to smooth out. And during regular trimming, it feels fine (no vibration or twisting).

-Chris

6. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

chrisexv6,

I dont have that problem at all. I would take it back to the dealer and him look at it. When I hold my trimmer, whether running at idle or full out, it doesnt pull to the left of the right. Is the trimmer head on correctly?

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

to me it sounds like the idle is too low...try raising it. i had a similar problem with one of my shindaiwas and a cub cadet