1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Fs80 vs Fs 90

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tfosterjr, Mar 28, 2006.

1. tfosterjr

tfosterjr LawnSite Member

have to replace my old trimmer tomorrow. These are the only 2 models that I am interested in. Can someone please provide insight into which is best, and why? BTW already did the search function and found plenty of info on the FS80, but only 2 threads on FS90.
  2. tfosterjr

I really need some opinions on this. any experiences good or bad. Don't won't to make a $300.00 mistake.
  3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was me i would go for the Fs-100...You will like the extra power and less noise
  4. tfosterjr

Daner-thanx for the reply. Dealer says that the FS90R is the replacement for the FS85R. I used one of those a few years ago and really liked it. Is the FS100R worth the xtra$$
  5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4 Mix system is the way to go these days...yaaa its more green stamps...but you get what yaa pay for...Let the cash out and you will be a happy trimmer guy...Ithink the 4 stroke small engines are the way to go for blowers and trimmers
  6. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

The fs100rx has a cable drive shaft, the fs 90 has a solid drive shaft. If you never plan on using any gearbox attachments, then the 100rx would be a good choice.
  7. woodmedic

woodmedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

The 100 RX actually has a hollow solid drive shaft. The 90 will be a solid drive shaft. I say will be because they have not been released to all the dealers yet.....They are brand new. The FS100RX is a great trimmer!!!