Stihl fs80r or fs100rx trimmer? 4mix good or bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by powernoje, Mar 14, 2009.

fs80r or fs100rx

1. fs80r

14 vote(s)
  2. fs100rx

25 vote(s)
  3. 4 mix (good)

51 vote(s)
  4. 4 mix (bad)

11 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. powernoje

powernoje LawnSite Member

ok, So I am going to be buying a new trimmer this week and I am torn between the fs80r and fs100rx. Has anyone had any experience with the stihl 4mix engines? I am just concerned they will be too slow. Please let me know what you think.
  2. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 LawnSite Member

I have an Km90 4mix and love it. It does take a bit to spin up to speed but once you master working the trigger its very powerful, not that loud, and great on fuel good luck they make great products!
  3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

great trimmers 100rx a little lighter and tiny more power. they are the future, everyone else, echo, red max, shindaiwa, tanaka, husqvarna trting to catch up. 4 mix engines are the future, just look at motocross racing, all was 2 stroke and everyone said a 4 stroke cannot ever win, well it won and its all they race now. 2 strokes only used for motocross freestyle now.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

fs100rx will break driveshafts under commercial use. We have broken three shafts on these machines and are retrofitting solid shafts from the fs90 now. Motors run great and have good power. We also had trouble with the lighter duty heads on the 100's and fitted the standard heads as replacements with no further problems.

The 4mix is good. The 100's are not fit for commercial use.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, go with the FS90 or FS110 with the solid shaft. That also gives you the option of putting attachments on it without fear of breaking the shaft.
  6. CajunMeauxJeaux

CajunMeauxJeaux LawnSite Member

I run fs80r this is my second trimmer. My first trimmer lasted me 9 years. Replace carb. one time. I recently purchased a new fs80r. You need to hurry because they stopped production on fs80r models, they are going fast.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Strange, my fs-100rx is starting it's 4th year, and it has suffered some down time
    but no problems at all with the driveshaft...

The first thing that comes to mind is someone is running hedge trimmer extensions, because that would mess up a flex shaft.

The worst problem I had with mine was the carburetor had to be replaced.
    Otherwise the best trimmer I've ever owned.

If you're just starting out you might find the FS-80 a beast..!
    Because the 4mix's have even more power than that, don't let the quiet sound of a 4-cycler fool you.

Now 3-4 years down the road you'll likely want more than a puny fs-80r,
    but I am telling you these commercial machines have some POW..E.R..!
    Yes, as in, scary amounts of it.

Consider also...
    The Fs-80r does have a solid steel shaft, as compared to the 100's flex, you can run extensions with the 80 but not the 100.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 FS80Rs and they both have a flex shaft. I believe the was the 85 that had the solid shaft.
  9. Every spring Stihl has a sale. They've had the FS110 for $329.
    That's the one I'd recommend. It looks kind of pricy until you compare life expectancy. Then it figures to be the cheapest you can buy.

Shihl products perform better using synthetic oil. I use Amsoil.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I used Stihl FS85 and FC85 trimmer/edger for many years (as well as HS80 clipper, BG85 hand blower). The 85's are solid shaft, and the engines have held up well. After seven seasons, the FS85 finally gave up. I replaced it with an FX90, 4-Mix trimmer. It has more power, easier to start, solid shaft, quieter, and works very well. I have no reservations about the 4-Mix design.