STIHL FS85 and FS85RX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Aug 7, 2003.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me about their experiences, good or bad with the FS85, and the FS85RX, are they any good, light or heavy,etc.?

If not give me some suggestions on a good trimmer!

2. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

dont have that trimmer but i do have the ht75 pole pruner and hs85 hedge trimmer which uses the same engine, and i can tell u that for me they have worked great, very powerful and reliable.

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my FS85. Powerful, smooth, light. Great trimmer. I don't have any experience with the FS85RX though.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

RX is the same except the shaft is a core shaft instead of solid. Stihl doesn't recommend using any attachments with the RX. Save yourself the trouble and get the FS85. All of mine have been extremely reliable and lasted many many hours.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've had a couple. Work great, I love 'em. Wouldn't think of buying anything else. Only problem I have with them is the gas cap. They tend to leak after a while, gotta replace them now and then.

:D

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the FS 85. All my hand held equipment is Stihl. No problems.

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

FS 85 is good for light commercial use. Mine seem to last 2 to 3 seasons with heavy use.

8. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Let me tell you about my new trimmer....
    I just got the new Honda HHT25S. This is a nice machine! Very quiet, no dirty, oily smoke, a solid machine, hopefully very dependable! Always takes awhile to get used to new equipment, but I'm liking this thing a lot so far.

Honda has been making 4-cycle trimmers for awhile but I did not like the UMK models. I tried one of those last year and it was no comparison to the Robin BH2500's that I have been using. But Honda has listened to customer feedback and made the new ones lighter and more powerful. I also did not like the head, which has been replaced with the best heads I have used - the same ones on the Robins.
    The HHT25S is 25cc and lists for I think around $340. My local Honda dealer has it for $299. Another shop in the city sells it for $309. It weighs about 13lbs. The HHT31 is heavier and more powerful.

Someday all trimmers will be 4-cycle (and then maybe electric?).

More info here: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/tri.htm