Stihl FS85 JUNK or NOT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoubleCutter, Sep 10, 2003.

1. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

Nother equip question. Are you guys as displeased with your FS85 as I am...Never started first pull yet, getting smoky, ww head seems at funny angle, some vibrations, etc etc.....I bought it from reccommendation. I do like it with attachments etc, But when this thing is done Im heading for a Echo or Shindawia It works everyday, But doesnt seem as easy to run as my Echo's in the past have. Its got good power too, Just not convinced.
    Lay it down Brother, Am I right or smoking crack

2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I like my stihl handheld stuff!If you want somthing to strat on first pull dont buy a stihl.I dont no why they are like that but they just are.They will run forever though

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Stihl has never let us down. Not saying other brands aren't good either, but it's hard to try a new brand when Stihl performs so well for us.
    Just retired a FS85 to second string after five years of long hard use. It still runs, but we figured it was time to let it rest now.

I think it is all about preferences. Once you get used to something, it's easy to stay loyal to it when it performs for you everyday.

4. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I like mine it always starts on the second pull. I never pump the bulb I just use the choke. After two pulls with the choke it will start and die and on the third pull without the choke it starts. I like this machine better then the Echo that I had because it would need to warm up for at least a minute before you could use it and this machine only needs about 5 seconds and then you go.

5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Remo's got it....its kinda like a slant 6 with 350000 miles on it, pump twice turn it over once, turn on raido and left blinker and it starts.

My trick is NO THROTTLE, DO NOT PUMP THE BULB, choke...pull...and if your quick enough to get to the choke thats it...if not un-choke and a half girly pull will get er going.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

All my hand helds are Stihl. I have never had a problem. Keep in mind that they get worked a lot, but I also clean and service them when I can. That seems to make a difference.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have never had a problem with starting any Stihl equipment. I have had 2 FS85s, and will most likely buy another next year.

:D

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have an FS-85 and it's like new, but it needs a new carb. Stihl would not warranty it because it was over one year old. I SAY IT'S JUNK!

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 fs85 trimmers and a host of other stihl equipment. They all take 5 or 6 pulls. But they do a great job. No complaints.

10. I have a FS85 and it’s been pretty good. To start it, I hold the head with my left hand (with the shaft pointed to the left), and my left-hand index finger on the choke. As soon as it starts to fire, I have to turn the choke off, and it wakes right up. If I don’t get to the choke in less than a second or two, it won't start.

Earlier this summer, it got to where it didn’t want to re-start after it had been running a while. All I ever burn is 93-octane fuel that’s pretty clean. I got all kinds of opinions and solutions. Spark arrestor screen, fuel filter, etc. But all I did was turn the screw on the carburetor next to the “L” clockwise ¼ turn and it’s run like new ever since.

I don’t like the head angle. It may be that I’m too tall, but when I’m standing straight-legged, I would like a trimmer that hung from my hands with a level head. None of them do that. Either a different head angle or an optional longer shaft would be a solution.