Stihl FS85 trimmer head question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by banjogum, May 25, 2011.

1. banjogum

banjogum LawnSite Member

Hi, Couple nights ago I bought a used Stihl FS85 trimmer off of Craigs List. I thought it was a real deal, and planned to use it as either a backup but now kind of need it as a brush cutter. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems a part is needed for the shaft ... the autocut 25-2 head I bought for it won't fasten on -- there doesn't seem to be enough of an output shaft. Can anyone tell me what part I need please? I attached pics if anyone can give me a hint I would appreciate it! Thanks much, L.

STIHL FS85 1.jpg

STIHL FS85 2.jpg

STIHL FS85 5.jpg

STIHL FS85 6.jpg

STIHL FS85 7.jpg

2. banjogum

banjogum LawnSite Member

By the way, the one pic with 5 pieces - washers, etc. - is what this guy gave me along with the trimmer. Of course, it didn't include any trimmer head to begin with ...

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

That box isn't for a FS85.

4. banjogum

banjogum LawnSite Member

P. 20 of the manual for the FS85 lists the autocut 25-2 as a compatible cutting tool though - ??

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I see your problem. That "Autocut 25-2" you have is just the spool and cap for an Autocut 25-2 head. You don't have the complete line head there.

6. banjogum

banjogum LawnSite Member

thanks rlitman - what I really want to do is add a metal cutting attachment, like a scratcher tooth circ saw to make this one more of a brushcutter. Can you help me figure out what I need to do that? (I suspect the loose parts this guy gave me aren't going to help) thanks

7. ricky86

You have what you need to mount a blade, as long as you have bike style handles on the tool. The order would be (by you photo) 1) upper right slides onto output shaft 2) upper left goes on next - then the blade 3) then the heavy washer 4) followed by the lighter washer 5) then the bolt. There is a protective cup that should go on to protect the bolt. Looks like it's missing. In order to mount an Autocut head, there is a adapter bolt you will need, because that gearbox it not what belongs on a FS85. It looks like it's off an old FS80E or FS90AVE or maybe a FS65, but those tubes were a different diameter. I believe that bolt is NLA. I think, maybe, you got bamboozled.

8. ricky86

I was wrong about the availability of the adapter bolt. Part number 4125 713 6600 is still available

9. banjogum

banjogum LawnSite Member

Hey Ricky thanks a lot - you have been the most helpful so far, and I really REALLY appreciate it! I did get a Scratcher Tooth Saw Blade (4112 713 4201) and managed to attach it according to your instructions, but yeah, I think there should be something that protects the bolt (I would hope so I should say ... when I was younger I messed up an unsuspecting bolt on a trimmer head that was left unexposed).

So to attach an Auotcut head, I would need the adapter bolt you mentioned, but would ALSO need the spool housing, correct?
    (by the way, a guy from Stihl called me today regarding this issue - he said nothing was missing & there was no adapter needed - but he wasn't as keen as you to notice the substituted gearbox). Good eye, Ricky -- you've been a great help!

By the way, do you have a reference guide for all the parts info and model features? (if so where can I get that?) OR, is it (most likely) just by experience you know so much?

thanks again!
    Lisa.

10. ricky86

There appears to be parts missing for the head. And no, most of the parts info is dealer only,which we are.