Stihl FS85

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GroundsMan, Jun 29, 2005.

1. GroundsMan

GroundsMan LawnSite Member

I have had recent engine problems with the fs-85 does anyone know why stihl has discontinued there fs-85. Is it manufaturing problems? I own two fs-85's and both have blown engines. They are both just over 2 years old. Could anyone give me any insight.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Blown engines at 2 years old?
    The fs85's were discontinued for the introduction of the 4 cycles........they are no different than the fs80's other than having a solid drive shaft.

If you've got 2 blown engines on 2 trimmers that are 2 years old, i'd have to say there is some operator error involved...................

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a FS85 that is almost 5 years old with heavy use....you better take a look at oil mix!

4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still running an FS 80 that I bought in 99 and an FS 85 that I bought in 01. I maintain about 30 lawns and the FS 80 is my only weedeater and the FS 85 is my edger, hedgetrimmer, and backup weedeater. Nothing but air filters and lubing driveshafts. These things are bulletproof.

5. arborguy

arborguy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I agree, I'd check the oil mix. I have a 1984 fs65 still going strong. Sure I've replaced carburators and the usual maintenance items but the cylinder has never been touched.

:waving:

6. ArchZangel

ArchZangel LawnSite Member
    from Florida

21 years on a 2 stroke engine. Original rings, piston and cylinder? Commercial use or residential? No offense i find that hard to believe. Even a well take-care of toyota looses compression after that long! haha
    ARA

7. arborguy

arborguy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Good point, it's not commercial use. It's fairly heavy residential usually using the metal blade to cut brush and vines (does anybody else hate honeysuckle :cry: ). It was an expensive tool at the time I bought it and I've always taken very good care of it. Maybe I just got a really good one but the carb is the biggest thing I've replaced on it.