Stihl FS85RT question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenisgold, May 10, 2001.

1. greenisgold

greenisgold LawnSite Member

I've decided to purchase the stihl FS85RT which is the fs85 with the split boom shaft along with the power scythe and hedge trimmer attachments. Any of you guys have any good or bad experiences with this unit? It's supposed to be a newly introduced model and I wanted to see if there were problems. Particularly interested in the scythe for cutting around the farm buildings and under split rail fence rows and electric fences. Thanks for the help!

2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the power scythe on the FS85 [standard trimmer, not split] for a year and have given it quite an extensive workout on blackberry bush removal. I don't know if you're familiar with the Himalayan blackberry but here they get 10-20'high, creep up trees and kill them and just bloom out into pastures until they completely take over if let go. I bought a place that had been let go 10 years and had to take berrys out along a fence line. This is one powerful unit and will cut through the thickest blackberry cane--on the thicker ones you just keep sawing at it until it cuts through.

This worked especially well along the fence line as I was pretty shy about using a brushcutter blade with the fiberglas T-posts, but you do need to be careful of getting the fenceposts in the scythe blades--not really a problem with blackberries but I prefer a string trimmer for grass along fences--no problem I just put the one-piece aluminum string head on and go for it--I don't like their bump feed head.

Today I used the new powerbroom head for the first time. I used it on me FS200 bicyclehandled brushcutter unit and I'm glad I had the handlebars to hold onto when that broom tried to dig into the concrete. Sure cleaned up the slab I had it on quick. It might work OK [the book says it will] on the FS85 but I'm glad I had the bicycle handles, don't know how it would work with the loop handle. Good luck.
    Will M.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The only problem I would think of with a split shaft is theft. When its in the trimmer rack all anyone has to do is release the center and pull both ends out of the rack. Other than that, it has the same motor as my FS85. You can buy attachments for that and not buy the R version.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Been good to me. Don't have to worry about theft a lot if it's in a covered trailer! :cool: I have used the hedgetrimmer, weedeater, edger, and pruner attachments. Works like a charm.

5. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

My only complaint with the Stihl is the weight. I just bought another trimmer, an Echo model and it is half the weight. I now leave my edger attachment on the Sthil and use it just for that. I couldn't believe the difference running the two trimmers, my arms ache using the Sthil if it's a big yard. The ability to change attachment is nice. I have a hedge trimmer for mine I use also. If you are looking to use this mostly for trimming I would buy a different brand.