1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS85RT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACER, May 30, 2001.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,
    Thinking of buying a Stihl FS85RT split boom trimmer, for those who own one are you still happy with it? I noticed in the Shihl catalog the edger attachment for this trimmer appears to be a cheaper one, not like the one on the FC85 which has an adjustable depth wheel and open guard. What is the best price I can expect for this trimmer?
    Thanks for any info. By the way this is a great site I learn something new every day.
  2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Use the search function at the top.

Use the keyword Stihl FS85RT and you will find a few past discussions.

3. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

I did search before I posted, was just wondering if anyone else has purchased this trimmer or if their opinion had changed, also the previous posts did not mention price paid. Thanks for the input.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer told me they had a vibration problem and to stay away from them until Stihl fixed the problem. I am taking his advice.
  5. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I have had mine for several months and haven't had any problems with it. I have purchased the edger attachment, and the hedge trimmer attachment.I paid $349 for the trimmer, $90 for the edger and $200 for the hedge trimmer. These were good prices for me, because other dealers around here wanted to charge quite a bit more. I am glad that I made the investment because it all comes in handy for me. Hope this helps.:rolleyes:
  6. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I also paid the same as Mike (mlc). And I am very happy with this unit.
  7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Check out other brands of split booms before buying. Stihl is somewhat limited on optional attachments. One brand would be Maruyama, they offer a wide range of attachments.
  8. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I've heard on this board to stay away from Ryobi, but you can get all the attatchments at a fraction of the price of a Stihl and it has a two year warranty. I'm considering some of their stuff. If it lasts two years I'm money ahead. If it doesn't I can return it. They also have a Poulan backpack blower w/kawasaki engine, looks pretty potent.;)
  9. crs

crs LawnSite Member

There is a REASON you don't see Ryobi equipment on everyones trailer.
  10. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

I have two one set up as a trimmer, one as an edger. No problems what so ever. I also have the articulating hedge trimmer, & the chainsaw all work well. I think they offer some sort of powered sweeper, but I had no use for it. I like this system because if one goes down, I have a backup power head for any of the attachments. I paid about the same for my units.