1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS90 needs Short Block

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MisterBreeze, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

FS-90 has not been running up to potential so I brought it in for service. I was told it needs a short block.......repair cost $325.00

Obviously, it would make no sense to repair for that price, new FS 90 is $299.00

Unit is running, just not as well as it should.

Any ideas how to salvage this trimmer?? Thanks
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I don't mean to break bad on your shop people but I have been fed line of bull after line of bull to the point I don't hardly believe a word they're saying...
    And it's possible, they could be right.

How much do you know about engines?

Can you compression test it?
    Replace the air filter and spark plug?
    Can you adjust the valves?

Those would be the first steps.

Beyond that I'd likely be looking into carburetor, new fuel lines and filter, and ignition coil.
    By now you'd be out near $100, DIY

From what you're describing I'd chance it, I mean I'm already all over it if you haven't noticed.

Up to you ...

Nothing else you can keep the parts for your next one, but I think with some tinkering you can get it running good.
    What else you might do is buy another as a backup, then you have time to work on it, too.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  3. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

herler is correct shop rates make it cost prohibitive to have the dealer repair your trimmer (hedge, blowers, edges the list goes on)

pull the muffler an check the piston an ring

these Stihl trimmers, and chainsaws are not overly complicated You've got nothing lose tear into it an see what cookin
  4. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Like they said, if you have mechanical knowledge look into it for yourself. These small 2 strokes are about the easiest motors to repair in the world. If you have free time with nothing better to do tear it down and check it out.

On the flip side this depends on how you value your time. If you have time to kill and no more profitable way to spend that time improving your business fix the machine, if there's something else you can do with your time to make money and you command a reasonable salary you may be better off buying a new one and using what you have for parts down the road.
  5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's getting near the end of the year. Your dealer need to move his inventory. The more he moves, the lower the cost to him for next year.

There are plenty of threads on here on what you need to do, just search Stihl or FS 90. Stihls seem to have alot of problems....Don't know if this will help, but read through this.

Attached Files:

• 4.pdf
      File size:
      1.3 MB
    ericg likes this.
  6. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Just a few off the wall questions that came to my mind...
    WHY does it need a shortblock? What was the REASON? Or could the shop not find a problem and just figured a shortblock would cure it?
  7. austins35

dealers aren't in the repair business they're in the sales business (be it parts, labor, or in lots of cases a new machine)

lots of dealer guys get you to leave your supposedly worthless machine with them

they repair them an sell them on the side No surprises

if you need a machine to work the dealer doesn't leave you with much choice

8. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

No Bingo here :nono: ... I am a Stihl Dealer!

I am just wondering what the reason was that he was given that it needed a shortblock... While I would like to think that you can trust a Dealer for what they tell you, fact is, there are some that you cannot!
  9. austins35

your correct Jeff I drive 28 miles to the Stihl dealer I trust. your right most Dealers are trust worthy

I should have clarified dealers (as far as I know) are unable to sell used equipment (per they're licensing agreement)

the service tech's are generally the ones I'm talking about selling used equipment on the side I doubt any dealer would knowingly Risk Stihl's wrath over used equipment

10. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

The unit as stated is an FS90! It is a 4-STROKE engine! Pulling the muffler will not reveal anything about the piston/rings/cylinder condition!