Stihl FS90 needs Short Block

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MisterBreeze, Sep 18, 2013.

1. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

I never got decent service from the 4-Mess engine. I would not spend a dime on it. If I wanted to stay with Stihl I would replace it with a FS 70R which is still a 2-stroke. Power will be about the same with alot less problems.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!
    Along with WJ's thoughts on 4-mess ( I like that! ) engines. What is the point of havin' a cam and valvetrain and havin' to STILL mix oil with yer gasahol????

3. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Personally, I think the FS70 should have never been made a "Professional or Commercial unit"! I am not the only one with this opinion... Including "Stihl" people...

The point is a cleaner burning unit with more torque then a 2 stroke. As to the 4 Mix, as most of the commercial cutters also turn the unit on it's side to then edge with, try that with a "typical 4 stroke" that uses straight gas and has a sump with oil... It won't run very long before it is locked up from lack of lube.

For you 2 stroke guys, wait til later in the year for the FS94! It is supposed to be like the FS80 in power and weight, but with the new Stratified engine... Then again, for the guys who ran the FS80's or any trimmer model or brand with NO line guard cutting a 3 foot path, you won't like it, and there will be problems like there is now!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely go with Echo 265 when you replace it, a 2 stroke and adjustable carburetor.

5. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Not much experience with Stihl or 4 mix, but they are still burning a mix. Do they not have exhaust port carbon issues?

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what to tell you 4-cycle hand tool haters but the longest running tools in my arsenal are ALL 4-cyclers, we're talking 9 years of almost every day use on one... The other's got like 6 years, another 7, I never saw that kind of longevity in the 2-cyclers but you have to get out of a certain mindset that boggles you down into believing what you believe or you'll never come out ahead, like any piece of equipment they do require maintenance a bit beyond pouring gas in the tank, so long this maintenance is performed periodically I have found little problem.

Granted some are brain busters but hey, if you don't want your 4-cyclers I will PAY the shipping to my house (assuming they are whole units with no parts broken or missing).

7. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will tinker with it over the winter. I have adjusted the valves and checked the carbon build-up.
    While I was dropping unit off, 2 Stihl trimmers came in for repair. And they were not old units, actually fairly new. I'm sticking with Echo in the future.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I will agree with you, My 2 stokers only last me 3 years. Now my 4 mix last me 4 years. I had one this year was its fourth year and the piston rod broke and screwed it up bad.
    If you can get 9 years out one then, I say you don't trim much.

One way to know if you trim a lot is how long does 2.5 gal of fuel last you??

My self Im lucky to get 2 days out of 2.5 gal and that's running 2-3 trimmers
    Friday I'll use 2.5 gals on one lawn and that's just trimmers

9. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

Stihl has plenty of 2 stroke models that have adjustable carburetors... What makes the Echo 265 special?

The days of having a "fully adjustable" carburetor are long gone...

2 strokes are the ones with exhaust screens, ports and mufflers that have the issue of stopping up... 4 strokes do not typically have any of those issues.

10. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

So again, what was the reason your FS90 "needed to be shortblocked" to begin with?