1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS90 needs Short Block

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MisterBreeze, Sep 18, 2013.

1. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

2. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

3. tigerepairdotcom

What do you mean looks like it does? Take a close look that engine is very good looking. What are you referring to? Someone with LawnSite Senior Member status has much influence so you may be stopping someone from getting a perfectly excellent engine..

My professional opinion that engine looks wonderful. I'm a technician who has competed and passed redmax advanced diagnosis, Briggs Certified and is a certified STIHL technician...

Now if you don't mind what about that engine looks fishy to you?

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Friend...... When you suggest a air leak/carb issue on a 4 cycle Briggs engine causing a over-rev situation, That reduces your credibility........

Why would anyone in their right mind tear apart a perfectly good running engine ???

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

10 4.....I smell a fish......:confused:
    If he went to all them schools....he didnt learn too much....:nono:

I think he called all of us that dont have ultrasonic cleaners idiots too...:dizzy:
    Funny though....I ran a mower shop for 10 years and only sold 3 carburetors...fixed the rest...:weightlifter:
    aint never had no ultramasonic cleaner gidgee.....:cry:

7. tigerepairdotcom

Friend...... When you suggest a air leak/carb issue on a 4 cycle Briggs engine causing a over-rev situation, That reduces your credibility......

Reduces credibility: No. Makes me human: yes. Eh it happens :D No one is perfect.

Why would anyone in their right mind tear apart a perfectly good running engine ??? Gee I dunno a number of reasons. Bought unit cheap and wanted to make more money for it parting it out...

I think he called all of us that dont have ultrasonic cleaners idiots too...

If he went to all them schools....he didnt learn too much....

I mis spoke. But to say I didn't learn too much well you're entitled to that opinion. Also you know what they say about those. However it seems you'r getting defensive or upset that you don't have ultrasonic y'know they're not too expensive and they do a great job. There is a difference between cleaning a carb backwoods style with a tooth brush or putting it inside a jar and shaking it or what every they do in your garage. VS an Ultrasonic Thermal controlled unit specifically designed to scrub places your tooth brush just wont reach.

And I said Joke not idiot. When I first started out I cleaned carbs bubba style too but after I bought my unit I realized I was fooling myself. Times are changing fuel has changed. No longer will hot water/carb cleaner and some scrubbing remove these tumultuous deposits. You old timers had it easier back then. Try an ultrasonic. If you don't like it I'll buy you lunch for a week.

8. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Glynn,
    I will respectfully disagree with you that I missed Waynes point. Here is why...

So as you can see, Wayne purchased a Stihl back in 1995 and it lasted until 2000... At which time Wayne replaced it with a Stihl 4-Mix that he had problems with, although I haven't found any actual issues with it that he had mentioned... He then went with 2 other brands and has not regretted it! No mention of any other Stihl though...

Fast forward 13 YEARS LATER, and he is still b!tching about the Stihl 4-Mix that gave him so much trouble!

Not to mention, he pops in to spew useless information on MisterBreeze's thread that was simply asking how he could salvage his engine?

Thats how I see it... I could be wrong...

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont clean carbs bubba style...I clean the obstructions and reassemble them...
    I don't soak..or use snake oils....I read the flow charts...identify the problem...and fix it...

Btw....we expect everyone that claims to be a technician ...to be perfect...

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

And...... Return to the thread they mis-informed in and correct their "mistake", Most of these people are commercial users and do not need to be sent on wild goose chases......

I'd bet lunch for a week, Myself or Slapper can clean 3+ carbs while your sit'n around wait'n for your fancy pants machine to clean one......

Check out Slapper's quote in my sig...... ;)