1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS90R or FS110R trimmer choice????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I've read some posts that speak about both. I need to make a decision quick on which one to buy as a replacement. Save all the suggestions for other brands in another thread. All my gear is Stihl, and I've had great success, and am not about to venture off into another manufacturer at this point.

My Stihl FS85, six (seven?) seasons old, gave up the life this morning. It has been a great piece, served me very well over the years with heavy use. But, it is locked up, and I need a replacement.

My needs are primarily for string trimming turf. I believe my FS85 has been used 90+ percent of the time as a string trimmer, trimming lawns. The other time it has been used to drive a 0 Degree hedge trimmer attachment, with a little 8-tooth blade work. From that profile, a powerful trimmer is not what I need. Rather I need something that runs well, light as possible (both 90 and 110 register the same weight), and will take an occasional gearbox change. It gets used 1.5 to 2.5 hours per day, mostly toward the 2.5 side.

From reading many posts, it sounds like most folks like both, but the FS90 may have some troubles. Who has both, and how do they compare, especially with regard to reliability and operation?

Also, can anybody provide specifics on fuel/oil mixtures? I have read that some 4-mix blowers do not like anything except Stihl Ultra oil. Does that assessment pass along all 4-mix models? What has been running successfully?

2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

From your description of the work you're doing,I'd say go with the FS90. The biggest difference in the 4mix vs 2cycle is the rpm level and the sound it creates. The 4mix engines run a lower rpm but have a tremendous torque.I use FS80's which are 2 cycle because they have really given me excellent service and my guys really like them.You continue to run 50-1 mix in the 4mix engines.My dealer tells me it is not necessary to run the Stihl ultra oil especially because it is very exspensive.
  3. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

rtr is right torque etc. i have both and the real difference is the weight. go with the 90.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I have a FS-100RX and me and my guys hate it. Its so weak. Our other trimmer is a FS-250R and im going to buy another one tomorrow. We abuse our trimmers but if you dont want alot of power then the 110 should be fine.
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

The FS 90 sound like the right trimmer for you. I am picking one up in a few weeks.
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

When you get your trimmer don't forget to break it in properly. No hard revs, let the engine run easy for at least 5 tanks of gas. Doing this will give you the most power out of the engine.
  7. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Have both, added more 90's. Not enough difference to justify the price between the two.
    No problems with either of them.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what those guys are getting into with their 250 lol because I use the fs-100rx with 080 line, plenty of power if you like the 85 then the 4-mix series is definitely an upgrade.
  9. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

What are you talking about the 110 doenst have much power. Are you crazy? Maybe compared to the 250 it doesnt but compared to most others it has tremendous power and torque.
  10. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Love my FS90R... no experience with the 110