Stihl gas caps blow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapeMasterpieceGA, May 11, 2006.

1. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

The old ones cracked all the time if you kept them on tight, now the new ones are the least ergonomically designed p.o.s.', My hand actually hurts getting the damn thing off. I love everything about the blower except the damn cap. Any solutions (besides buying a different brand) to alleviate my struggles?
    BG85 by the way
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

every thing about sthil blows in my opinion
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I have to admit their gas caps are weird.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I am on the plank by myself when I say I like the stihl caps. Beats the sh!t out of a regular cap IMO. Less trouble getting them off/on and they sure as hell wont leak on ya.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the dislike of the cap on the BG85. It is an "inside" cap, unlike the older modes that used an "outside" cap. I usually fill the tank too full, and then it will overflow when screwing the cap on the "inside." The older ones would allow a full tank because the cap went on the "outside."

Why did they change them? An EPA reg...?
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl changed to those crappy caps cause they thought the old caps were kinda crappy. I like the older caps better. those new ones suck bigtime.
  7. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I also have to admit that once you learn how they work and can get them in the right grooves they work decent but it's a new mousetrap ergo...a learning curve and they arent self explanatory by any means.

Theres probably a simple instruction somewhere that Ive
  8. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

One just has to read the owner's manual on how to use them properly...nothing is more frustrating than farting around with the Echo type gas cap...Stihl chose that new gas cap design for a reason...Stihl does not blow...they are just ahead in technology and other's are upset with jealousy...4 cycle hybrid is the thing of the future and will only get better...
  9. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Jealousy? Ahead of what technology?

Stihl went to 4 mix because they can't figure out how to make a clean burning 2 cycle....plain and simple! The same is true about Shindaiwa.

There are now 2 cycle engines from Echo, RedMax and, I think, Tanaka that run almost as clean as the Honda 4 cycle mini engine!

2 stroke engines are lighter, easier to work on, less moving parts and are more reliable over time...oh yeah, 2 cycle engines use less gas as well.

2 cycle engines are here to stay. Don't be led astray by BS!
  10. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

They do not burn less gas. There was a guy on here that figured up how much gas he was saving when his crew went to 4-mix. 6'7" 330. I can't remember the number, but it was significant. 4-mix isn't a true four stroke either. They haven't been out longer than a couple of years. I don't see how you can make the claim that two strokes are better over time.