1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Gas Caps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis E, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone else have problems with the gas caps that stihl uses on there commercial units? I'm wondering if mine is screw up because today it took over 5 minutes to get it to work properly and this has happened before but my new edger works fine all the time. Is it that it is wore out and needs replaced?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Another nice feature thought up by Stihl.
  3. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It is a nice feature. Thanks for pointing that out. Not only do they keep dirt out when you are refilling the unit but they secure and seal very well. Just like everything, they do tend to wear and occasionally have to be replaced.
  4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

What's not working properly about it?
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

IMO they suck. Friend has a 4-mix edger with the new style cap... it's great. You CAN NOT get the cap off when you want to put gas in it, and then it will randomly come off sitting on the rack between lawns, or in the middle of edging. Reason enough for me to NOT buy any more stihl crap.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been complaining about that cap ever since I first got one. I still have to be very careful to make sure it's installed correctly.

I've said it before... If cars came with gas caps like these the NHTSA would make them change them.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Those new caps suck...hard. There is no reason for them to exist, they do not work. I can imagine some Stihl engineer designing the thing on his computer with a h@rd-0n because he thinks it makes him cool. The old screw cap was perfect.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

They do suck in my experience also. What the hell is wrong with a good old threaded cap that doesn't cost 12 bucks to replace when it frickin explodes into 6 pieces. Some engineer needs his azz kicked for that one. I like my saw but the cap blowz.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't got any new Stihl equipment so I don't know if you're talking about the cap with the flat piece sticking up in the middle for your fingers to grab onto? If that's the one, I prefer it. I hated it at first but now I like it because it's really easy to use while wearing gloves. Matter of fact, I replaced a cap on an old fs85 to that very cap, it was about $10. Tony