1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl good or bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Mar 3, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Looked at echo products, but the dealer I bought mowers at carried Stihl. They look every bit as good as Echo. I got a good discount since I bought everthing at one place. What's everyone's opinion of Stihl?
  2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Its good stuff, better dealer in my neck of the woods for echo though. Even if my wifes uncle does work for the people who sell stihl.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My trimmers and edgers are Stihl, they hold up well and have good power, can't go wrong with them. I have 1 Stihl blower and 1 Echo, the Stihl is easier on the back, will buy Shindawa blower next, awesome power.
  4. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl has a good reputation around here. The only piece we have thats Stihl is our pole pruner, its very nice and we havent had a problem one..........very powerful too.
  5. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

They are both good, I found that one model of trimmer might suite me better than the other but the other comany's blower is better for me. Not all of the stuff is created the same, one peice might be more comfortable for you to operate so that the one you get. I've used
    Sthil and Echo for over ten years and all of it gets worn out, not blown up! Two good pieces of equiptment is almost a matter of preferance to what fits your needs.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

7. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

You guys seen that new Sthil stick edger?...... NICE.... No closed shield to get cloged up and boo koos of power.

8. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Stihl has the best trimmer heads on the market. Even the most mechanically challenged employees can wind a decent spool. Russ
  9. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

i'm a die hard Stihl fan, But, at the end of the last year i bought an Echo 2601 trimmer and I love it. Its easier on my wrists. I think that the anti vibration setup is better. So now i guess I like both. I have a dealer who sells both and is very familiar with what each brand has that is better than the other and is honest about it even when he could make more on the other brand. Too bad not everyone has a dealer like that.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

All my power tolls are Shindaiwa , except for my Stihl FS-85 , which I love. And I have an Echo hedge clipper, which I hate!