1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl handheld blower - volume /mph

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, May 19, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have a echo blower which has a 145mph and volume of 305. If I am looking to blow mostly grass clippings what do I look for mph or volume? The echo leaves grass is it is slightly damp. I will be getting a stihl because of rebate check and awesome dealer support.
  2. BigShelby

BigShelby LawnSite Member

Step up and buy yourself a commercial grade backpack unit. IT's the best thing I ever did for this season. It will blow the wet grass, the water on the pavement, rocks, etc. with no hassle. Expect to spend about $300.
  3. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I really do not want a back pack at this time. Just looking for the best Stihl handheld blower for what I need. In the fall I may get a back pack blower.
  4. Lawn_Boy

Lawn_Boy LawnSite Member

I agree with BigShelby.

But if you insist on a handheld, just go to the dealer and compare the stats. Its not going to matter a whole lot, because sooner or later its going to become a backup.
  5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Have to agree with above. I stepped up to a backpack just before fall cleanups last season. It is so much more efficent and I find it more comfortable than a hand held blower.

If you insist on a handheld just get the biggest you can afford.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the BG85 and like it a lot.......a backpack really isn't needed on most lawn mowing cleanups...you got it right!
  7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

$300+++, my echo backpak was $449 on sale!
  8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I got my echo pb413h/t for 300 plus 40 for the one year warranty. 830cfm and 154mph. All I know is that thing blows like a hurricane. It's my first and I'm absolutely satisfied. I know people spend upwards of 500 on blowers and so far I don't know why. I haven't found an application where I have needed to turn my blower up to full throttle. Don't waiste your money. I did that with a hedge trimmer and I learned my lesson. I went cheap on my string trimmer with an srm-210 becuase I don't have enough accounts to need something more powerful but for a blower don't waste your time on a bulky weak handheld. I'm on a tight budget too so I know how you feel. I have to work full time and take my profits from landscaping part time to buy equipment so I don't have much but I wouldn't go cheap on a blower or waste my time on a handheld. Also, landscaping equipment vibrates a lot and that wears on your joints. A backback blower does not. I'm only 24 but I got limes disease when I was younger and it destroyed my joints so I care about things like that and that is something you should think about. Just my 02:)
  9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I agree 100 percent here. I have a bg85 too and love it. Starts up first or second pull everytime and with no priming of the carb too.

10. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Yea, get the BG85, the best hand held out there, even better than I expected,
    and it WILL move damp leaves.