1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl handheld edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrianWilson, Jun 3, 2003.

1. BrianWilson

BrianWilson LawnSite Member

Has any one used any of the handheld edger's? I tried the stihl edger with the curved shaft today and was very impressed. Although I think the strait shaft has more power and won't vibrate as much as the curved shaft model. I am seriously considering the purchase of one of these units. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking I should even buy the one that has the quick change, you can purchase lots of different attachments.
    Do you think this quick change will be the same quality and performance as the edger only models?
    Would love to hear some of your opinions, Bring it on.
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an edger attachment for my Echo split-boom. It does a great job as long as it is not too overgrown. For those first time edging jobs I use a 3.5 HP wheeled edger.
  3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Stihl FS85 with the edger attachment. No problems, works great.
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Stihl FS85RT, with just about all the attachments including the edger. The system works great after 2 years of hard use. The edger will work great in all but the most neglected properties. Once you get an area under control weekly or bi-weekly edging can be performed very quickly. You can edge as fast as you can walk.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

FC85 stick edger is the straight shaft. Its is awesome. Tremendous power and makes edging very fast. The head is designed differently so that it doesn't clog. I have 2 seasons on one and it still runs like new.
  6. cmcquate

cmcquate LawnSite Member

You obviously like Stihl from your equipment list. I have 2 FS85RT's and the straight shaft edger (stay away from the curved shaft attachment) attachment. I love it and will never bother carrying around a 3 wheel edger again! The straight shaft attachment has 2 wheels and is very easy to adjust depth. Nice clean, wide edge and it will go as fast as you can walk!:)
  7. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

the 85 stright shaft like my bud hoss said awsome.

8. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

cutter head

9. BrianWilson

BrianWilson LawnSite Member

How much can one expect to pay for the edger head. Not the quick connect but the one that you need to use the alan wrench on. I have a Stihl fs83r and need to keep my cost down so the best way I can fiqure is just to buy the edger head. Any idea how much one might cost?
  10. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Would you say that the Stihl straight-shaft edger attachment (with the second wheel) for the KM-85 split-boom is worth the extra $50 over the curved-shaft attachment?

I'm a homeowner, so will only be using it once a week, but I do a whole lot of edging on that day.