Stihl Hedge Clippers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Feb 17, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a $275 credit at my local Stihl dealer. I'm thinking about buying Stihl Hedge Clippers model HS-80. Has anyone used Stihl Hedge Clippers? Bob

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey bob-<br>I bought a hs-86 2 yrs. ago & I love it.<br>It all depends on what you intend to use them for. My hs-86 is the big monster w/ the rotating handle, & it's great for big stuff, but I found myself getting sore forearms after about a half hr. Alot of the places I use them are commercial, which involves alot of shrubs, alot of small ones, & the dang things are overkill. So I'm looking to buy a smaller trimmer for the avg. stuff. If you go fairly big, get the 86 w/ rotating handle. Much more versatile.<br>Good luck.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

3. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey Bob,<br>I use echo products, but stihl is about the same. Stihl is introducing a new line this year with bigger engines and less money. They have a rear-engine type with a 27 cc engine and 24&quot; blade for under $300. The rear engine is the way to go. Like Smitty said, the conventional type with a big engine will burn your forearms up.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't own one of the Stihl trimmers because of that reason, I used a set one day and found out real quick why I bought the Tanaka THT 2100's. They are much lighter and have a 21&quot; cut. They are big enough for every shrub I have to trim. I use all Stihl products with the exception of this piece. Stihl has come out this year with a set that has a multi position head but with a handle that will reach somewhere around 4'. They would be useful in a lot of situations and wouldn't be as bad on your arms and back!<p>Homer