Stihl Hedge trimmer attachment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernFried, Aug 4, 2004.

1. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered a Stihl FS85. I also ordered the articulating (0-90 degrees) hedge trimmer attachment that goes with it.

This is not the split boom, multi-tool. I'm a little wary of split-booms which seem to be heavier, in general, and have more parts to them that could go wrong. It's just a hedge trimmer "attachment" that u replace the trimmer head with.

I'm feeling pretty smug about this right now. A full blown great commercial trimmer...and, for 195$ more...a full blown articulating pole hedge trimmer. Seem's like a smart move, but I probably need some confirmation.

Does anyone else have this setup? Whatcha think of it?

And...is STIHL the only company that offers a setup like this, without going to the split-boom?

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Stihl articulating hedge trimmer attachment on both their split boom and solid shaft trimmers. I use it all the time and love it. It allows you to get to places you can't with a regular hedge trimmmer, ladder or not. I wouldn't buy another split shaft trimmer as I've never used it without the lower drive tube.

3. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

I have made more money with my Stihl HL Adjustable
    Hedge Trimmer Attachment. I thought about just getting the head trimmer attachment for hedges. Good luck with it.

4. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have the same setup.. Really nice and works great... It is a bit heavy though.

5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Me too. Had it for two years FS 85 with same attachment. Works like a charm

6. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez LawnSite Member

You have made a good choice in equiptment, I myself like this set-up, although it is a little heavy. Whats really nice is you can purchase the saw attachment that also fits the FS85. You can't go wrong with Stihl.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I have the split boom version on my Fs 85 but the fixed one, not the 90 degree adjustable. Works great for me, real cheap compared to a handheld unit and suits me better. I bought the 3 foot extension because I found a few places where i just couldn't reach the back of the shrub at all, even on a ladder. I'm satisfied!

8. PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect LawnSite Member

I also have the hedge trimmer attachment and the pole saw attachment. Both work great.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have the split boom and when my weed whacker went down it was fast and easy to change from the edger to the weed whacker attachment.
    I have all the attachments and they work very well.

John

10. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have the KM-85 (split boom). I got a shorter shaft for the hedge trimmer and it works great! I think my dealer got it from Stihl.

The only problem I would have with the solid shaft is the time it takes to change gearboxes out, trying to get that dadblamed shaft into the hole, and keeping dirt out of the gearbox heads. That's why I went with the split boom. Also, I have the line trimmer, blade trimmer, chainsaw, and edger attachments. The only trouble I have had so far is the T-handle stripped out and lost the nut too.

BTW, I also bought the boom extension. Talk about reaching out for some tall shrubs and tree limbs. It is a little heavy though.