Stihl hedge trimmer problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 1MajorTom, Jul 15, 2005.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Stilh hs80's
    While Matt was cutting hedges today, the blades stopped cutting. The engine would rev, and every now and then the blades would give a little slide then stop.
    He had to tear down the whole machine completely to find out the problem.
    On the bottom of the motor there is a clutch bell that slides over the clutch shoes, and it also has the main gear that drives the blades... that part sheared in half where the pinion connects to the bell. The dealer said he never saw this before. Anyone else ever had this happen?

2. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

I have not seen that either,But sometime rare occuances, leaves and debris will get between the blades were the scews and spacers go.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

yup seen it happen. just had it happen to one of our machines this week. ive about had with stihl parts pricing too. we have three hedge trimmers that go on the end of the line trimmers. two of them broke this week. both broke at the pinion gear up top where you can rotate the head. they want $90.00 for just one of the gears. thats highway robbery. obviously we just bought a whole new power head, but ive had it up to here with stihl lately. we just got a new 550 back pack and on the second day one of the shock absorbers broke. bring back the old br400's. also got a new 4 mix trimmer. do they purposely make all their trimmers heavier an heavier each time a new model comes out? we have so many stilh trimmers, blowers etc it really doesnt make since to switch but lately the stuff has been total crap.

4. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

I got slagged a little while back for posting in the wrong forum, I'm new and I would've posted properly had I known...

Well, one of the Moderators (no offence Jodi) has had a post moved. So everyone isn't perfect! Let's not crap-talk each other, we're here to help each other...

;)

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bulletproof:
    I would have never corrected you if you posted in the wrong forum, I would have just relocated it. Who "slagged" you, I would really like to know.
    I posted in the commercial forum, and IMMEDIATELY realized what I had done, so I relocated my thread myself within seconds.

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen the exact problem on the exact model,1. did matt have the gearbox filled up?
    were the blades tightened too much causing friction that transferred to the internals?. I worked at a stihl dealer and i know Hs series in and out.

Also, you can buy a stihl lube for the bars, it costs us at the dealers $8 per can 8oz and is about $12 retail, OR do what i recommended to some people, Nonstick cooking spray, no petroleums near the plant and way cheaper!!

7. vipermanz

the gear set from stihl costs $54 dealer cost.. aint that a kick.. Seen the same problem with the bp too, doofus bought it "regrettably" and brought it back 2 days later claiming it had no power, he got his refund and i went out and took a look at it and checked compression, that was perfect, checked rpm with stihls own tachometer, hit 7,200rpm. that's normal, nothing wrong with it. i called my boss over to tell him what i found and then i saw a place that was scuffed, i looked into it and found senor doofus sheared the shock mount off the impeller housing itself.... ;)

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by "... gearbox filled up?" Do you merely mean was there proper lube in the transmission? I isassemble my unit each off-season, clean it out, sharpen the blades and reassamble with liberal grease (Stihl grease from a tube) around the gears, sliders, etc. I don't use my unit very much (3-4 hours per week), so is this adequate?

Is there an alternative to the tube of grease that Stihl sells for these transmissions and the gearboxes on the end of an FS85 and FC85? I'm speaking about the tube that screws into the fitting where the existing plug screws into. My tube is exhausted and they are expensive. I thought perhaps a high grade of gear grease (e.g. wheel packing) would work fine. But, I doubt I can find a grease fitting that would temporarily screw into the gear case, a temporary fitting to replace the plug.

Am I better off to bite the bullet and buy another Stihl tube?

On the cutting bar, I use liberal amounts of Bar and Chain oil. I try to oil the bar every 30 minutes of cutting, or thereabouts, two oilings per tank of fuel. I use a pump oiler and put some oil on each tooth, on each side. I think the oil is probably gone sooner than 30 minutes, however. I knew one LCO with an HS80, like mine, and he NEVER put a drop of oil on the bar. He did not care for any of his equipment, so this was no surprise. And, I don't know what kind of like he got out of his HS80 either.

What is the mark of a worn out bar? Yes, one can see the toll the blade sharpening takes, but how about the fittings and driving pins in the transmission? What should I look for to determine if a replacment bar is needed?

9. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Echo specifies a quality lithium grease for the gearbox so I imagine you could use any good quality lithium grease and not have to pay an arm and a leg for the Stihl grease.

I use bar oil as well. I have a coffee can with a small paintbrush in it that is half full of bar oil. Every couple of weeks I will wipe the blade of the trimmer with this brush. If there is a lot of sap and gunk on the blade I will clean with kerosene and then reoil it.

10. vipermanz

I thik you could ust hold a grease gun nozzle in the screw in port, i use slick 50 grease on alot of things for myself.

an indication of needing a new bar would be is worn and has a sloppy feeling to it. i appreciate you guys asking me how to's, i've been kinda down lately and lawnsite friends really help!