stihl hedge trimmer? What should I look for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Dec 9, 2004.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

A buddy of mine has three stihl hedge trimmers, and he said he'd sell me one. I don't know yet which model/s he has, but I was wondering what to look for about em'? Which is better/best. Thanks.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i have the hs 85 and it's ok, but i am not thrilled with it.
    it has some cool features, but alot of carb prblems.

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the hs45 and have had no problems..... knock on wood.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the HS 80's for handhelds. The swivel handle on the 80's are really nice. Never had any problems from them. No carb problems either. In 01 and 02 I did have some carb problems with some Stihl trimmers that were replaced with new ones. All the new Stihl stuff I bought in 03 and 04 have been flawless. Its almost impossible to kill a motor on a Stihl, so if they look pretty well taken care of, you will probably get good service from them.

5. BryPaulD

from MI

Thank you for the replies. I've never had hadge trimmers, well gas powered anyway. I've been using the long bladed scissor style. Are these like chainsaw stuff?? Bigger motor/longer bar type of deal? thanks.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a hs45 and am very pleased with it,I dont use it theat much but when I do its nice. Mine has the 24'' bar and plenty of motor

7. BryPaulD

from MI

I will check out what he's got. I appreciate the feedback. Also, do these take the regular 50:1 mix, and does $100.00 seem reasonable or good deal for a used unit? Thanks again

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes they are 50:1 and I dont know about the price. Im thinking I paid about 225 or more for the hs45 but they were new

9. BryPaulD

from MI

cool :) just making sure, if he brings em' over with no gas in them, I do have gas. Thank you again and have a good day.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If I remember correctly I paid around $350 plus tax for the 80's.