Stihl Hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Mar 26, 2012.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought my new stihl hedge trimmer and used only 4 months or so and had to bring back to dealer for service. Dealer said carb was bad. He said that I should not be putting any fuel in it that is older than 2 weeks old. Even with fuel stabilizer . Never new that. I run pure gas in all my handhelds. Is this true? I figured I should be able to go a least a month or so on fuel. Let me know what you guys think. I do have a commerical 2 year warrenty but does not cover the $65 carb. They only cover the carb for one month after purchase.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

What octane were you running in it?

3. TRD07

TRD07 LawnSite Member

Run premium gas only. I had the same problem with my stihl blower 3 years ago, but since I changed to 92oct. no more problems. Ethonal is killed the carbs.

4. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing less than 91 octane and fully syntethic oil STIHL HP ULTRA or REDMAX or AMSOIL oil.

5. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Some are good and some are bad I guess. Mine is 11 years old and I just use and stuff it where it fits with what ever gas is in it. Kill switch is froze up, primer bubble has been shredded for years and 4 month old gas sits in it all winter. About 15 pulls full choke on and off it fires right up and goes to work flawlessly. Have never changed the spark plug either. I treat my husqvarna trimmers and Ferris mowers the same way and have never had any issues. Treat em tough, they act tough I guess. I use 87 gas husqvarna mix the whole time.

6. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I run 87 octane with pure 100% gas . No eth. So the higher octane will help? How long can I keep the gas. I usually get new gas every 2-3 weeks with the handhelds.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Dumb question but,you are running oil with it ,right?

8. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the higher octane gas helps the engine run cooler.
    You can keep premium 91 gas in gas cans for up to 3 weeks (that's what I do)

May I ask what type of 2-stroke oil are you running?

9. TRD07

TRD07 LawnSite Member

Stihl hp ultra 2 cycle oil
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I leave the fuel in my hedge trimmers, chain saw and other seldom used (at this time of year) pieces of equipment for months. I have ZERO problems. As long as the fuel doesn't evaporate out of the carb then it's fine. For me anyway.

I also buy 5 gallons of gas at a time for mixing. I use around 1 gallon a week in the trimmers and blower. That's 5 weeks and the fuel is still fine. I do use nothing but high quality, name brand gas. Since 1993 all I've used were Citgo, Shell and now BP. 89 octane mixed with Amsoil. No other additives go into my fuel.

If I were you I'd find another dealer. The carb is warranted for the same length of time as the rest of the tool. There is no exclusion in any of my many Stihl manuals for carbs.