Stihl Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Mar 16, 2003.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the hedge trimmer I have been using went out today. I will be purchasing a new one tomorrow. I have had good luck with stihl products, so I will probably stick with them.

I believe there are 4 to choose from: HS 45, 75, 80, and 85. I prefer the double sided, so that eliminates the 85. The 45 is considered homeowner (I think). That then leaves the 75 and 80. The engine is the same on both, but the 80 has a swivel handle. The 80 also has either a 24" or 30" bar length, compared to the 75s 20".

My main question is, should I get the one with the swivel handle, or stick with the fixed handle.

Any other pros/cons on these hedge trimmers would be helpful.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. K&RLAWNS

K&RLAWNS LawnSite Member

WE USE AN HS80 STIHL AND HAVE BEEN PLEASED WTIH THE MACHINE. I'VE CONTEMPLATED BUYING A POLE HEDGE TRIMMER WITH AN ARTICULATING HEAD TO REACH A COUPLE OF OUR TALL HEDGES. I LIKE THE POWER OF THE HS80 AND USE THE SWIVEL HANDLE FREQUENTLY. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS!!!!!

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Orayan,

I have the double sided Stihl HS80 unit. It has been very good to me. Lots of power, low maintenance and excellent performance in a broad range of shurbs has made this a very productive tool. The only problem I've had is some hard starting (typical Stihl) and in the last year, the motor seems to give out when it gets hot and has been used for a long time. I guess that means that it might be time for a new pair.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Very powerful, Very fast, Leaves a nice finish. Get the swivel handle Oh It takes down Burning bushes With ease Very big cutting capacity.

Can be heavy, Likes to be warm upped First.

5. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I have the HL 45, the dealer said it was commerical rated. It does a good job for me. Cost me $299 on special regular price was 339.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a 45 for the last year. It is considered "homeowner" but it has a bigger motor than the 75. I use the hedger myself, so I know that it is not abused. I have not had a problem yet. It has plenty of power.

7. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

we have 2 of the stihl 80's, and my guys wont touch them. They prefer the echo 1500 because it is much easier to handle... The pole trimmer on the otherhand is very nice.

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we have been using the 45 for three seasons now and no problems so far. very nice unit. we also have the art. hedge clippers for those tall trees and shrubs. stihl makes awesome hedge trimmers

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Three little words of wisdom......

BUY AN ECHO!!!

The Echo hedge clippers are much lighter, more blade speed and all have commercial grade engines. HC-1500 is $249.99. You can also get one with the rotating handle for $299.99

The "commercial" Stihl units are VERY heavy and loud!! The "homescaper" units are just that...meant for homeowners. I have used almost every brand and Echo makes the best in my opinion.

Good luck!!