1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Hedgetrimmer loses power when hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scottrk, Jan 15, 2005.

1. scottrk

scottrk LawnSite Member

My older Stihl hedgetrimmer (Model HS60AV) loses power when it has been in operation for several minutes. Then it will not restart. It also takes a few minutes to get warmed up before it can be used. The spark plug looks fine and the air filter is clean. Any thoughts on what the problem is? Thanks.
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it overheat? I'd check the cooling fins to see if they were stopped up with debris.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Did you check the spark arrestor screen?
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If it dies when it gets hot and will not restart then its probibly the ignition module.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If the cylinder is not scored, or exhaust coked I would say it is running lean. Lean conditions can be attributed to many things, sucking air[loose intake screws/bad gaskets], A dirty fuel filter, cut or bad fuel line, a bad carb diaphragm or dirt in fuel circuits, water or contaminated fuel, bad vent.........I always fix the obvious first[and cheapest] and make one change at a time and then check to see changes.

I usually change out plug before proceeding.
  6. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

check the screen located on the exhaust if it is gummed up this will happen.
    you can take it out by loosening the screw and pull it out with needlenose clean with gasoline and replace.
  7. arborguy

arborguy LawnSite Member
    from KY

This sounds familier... I had the same problem with a 16 year old stihl fs65 brushcutter. As everyone has stated there are a lot of possibilities but it sounds exactly like the symptoms I experienced. Mine was a lean fuel issue and solved by getting a new carb. I tried to get a rebuild kit but stihl had changed the part because the original carb "had a tendancy to lean out over time" :D

Good luck
  8. clipslawnservice

clipslawnservice LawnSite Member

had the same problem a whle back, try replacing the coil, that should do the trick, Ithink the gap setting is 10/1000.
  9. Jeff194307

Jeff194307 LawnSite Member

A lot of people are thinking coil, but I agree with the lean mixture theory. Check for an air leak also. flange gasket or carb mount can cause lean condition.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I agree. Had that prob with a br-420.