1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl High Performance 2 stroke mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by BufalinoLand, Mar 6, 2013.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any advantage to using the stihl high performance 2 stroke mix instead of the standard. thanks
  2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean by "standard"?
    Stihl offers three lines of 2-stroke mix oils:

HP-Ultra is fully synthetic and comes with fuel stabilizer. This is the most expensive.
    HP-Super is partially synthetic, and has a mid line price.
    High Performance is their cheapest oil.

Only the HP-Ultra is recommended for use in 4-mix machines.
  3. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Try Echo's red armor oil. Its just as good as stihls HP ultra imo and cheaper.
  4. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Is it full synthetic oil?
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Amsoil Saber beats both of those brands in price and is as good as, or maybe even better than HP Ultra.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

it better than sthil ultra
  7. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Its a semi-synthetic. I emailed Echo and asked. I've had really good results with it so far. I've been wanting to try the Amsoil Sabre but I know I wouldn't trust it at 100:1 and even 80:1 sounds a little scary. None of the local "amsoil dealers" carry the Sabre and all say to enter their code and order it online. If I could buy it locally I would give it a try.
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I know how you feel about trying it at 100, or even 80:1. That was my gut feeling ( and still is maybe since I run it at 80:1) too at first, but after using it in all my handhelds for the past year or two, I will not use anything else. I called Amsoil and asked if the protection was really there since they say they will stand by the claims at 100:1, and the tech told me they've tested it at as low as 300:1 without any problems or issues with the engine(s) used. I don't recall off the top of my head if he said they did that test for an extended period of time or not, but I would assume so if they wanted to know for sure.

Anyway, you won't have any problems at 80:1 unless you are running it that way exclusively in a chainsaw for regular daily use. They really do need 50:1 since they run at almost exactly twice the RPM's as most handheld tools used for lawn care, and they generate far more friction and heat.

Regardless of all that, Stihl says their 4 mix stuff needs to be run on full synthetic. Just an FYI.