1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl HL100K gearbox

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by knox gsl, Jul 28, 2014.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking for a way to get the bearings and gears out of the portion of the gearbox that attaches to the shaft of the trimmer. A video link or diagram would be great.
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

No parts breakdown available on the net---go to your dealer and have him print one out, OR if Alabama Jeff sees your post he may lend you a hand.
  3. knox gsl

what keeps the bearing and gears in after all the screw are removed
  4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Press fit. Heat the case with a PROPANE torch. Do it quickly. If grease starts to smoke alot, its too hot. Brgs will fall out. Providing you removed the retainer rings if applicable.
  5. knox gsl

I had a feeling, I'll fire up the torch when I get home tonight.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

7. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

I emphasized propane. A MAPP torch might get too hot.
    Heat it and tap it on a piece of wood.
  8. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

So you're warming the case before the bearings get warm, so the bearings get loose?
    If that's what you're doing, put it in the freezer overnight before you heat the case. Better to start off with the bearings (and grease) extra cold.
  9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, good idea.
  10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

First check the condition of the gears. If a single gear is worn, you're in trouble. Stihl only sells them as a set which costs more than the thing is worth. I bought a broken HL100 thinking I could fix it up, only to find it's not possible. Needless to say I bought something else when shopping for a new one.

The bearings are press-fitted in the housing, there's a recess in the channel onto which they stop and the gear has a groove with a circlip to hold the imput pieces together.

What I did: I put a "spacer nut with bolt" in the gear side if the case and unscrewed them apart until they were pushing the gear out. The imput bevel gear has a center hole making is ideal for such an approach. I then heated the housing with a propane torch and turned the nut until it maxed out. A few gentle taps and the bearings came out.

Again check the gears to make sure you're not doing this in vain.