Stihl HS 81 Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Talon1189, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

I bought a new Stihl HS 81 Hedge Trimmer a couple of weeks ago and it always requires 4 pulls to start even following the directions exactly :confused: I would expect less than that being brand new. I pulled out the spark plug and the gap was to large.......so I regaped it according to the book specs. I am about 3 weeks away from hedge and bush trimming in my state yet. This has not helped and it still takes 4 pulls to start :cry: I am just wondering if equipment such as this will start better after it is broken in after 3 tank fulls of actual use that the manual recommends for breakin? Does anyone know?

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

My stihl chainsaw , handblower,backpack blower,pole hedge trimmer all take some starting typically 2 to 4 cold / 1to2 hot. Yes i agree it is frustrating

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an HS80, and 4 pull for a cold start is not unusual, typiclally more than that. When it is hot, it starts first pull. I have not viewed the starting issue as a problem, just a characteristic of the machine. For me, it works so well otherwise, the 4 pulls to cold start is a trivial matter. For others, maybe they expect differently, and that is fine too.

4. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

doesnt seem unusual for any 2 cycle to me. click on the throttle lock, full choke, give the primer bulb 2 squirts. couple pulls til it sputters, take it off choke, next pull usually starts. try to not pull the rope all the way out, so you dont put stress on the rope from bottoming out. just short quick pulls.