Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer - fuel pickup install

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. Roger

    Roger LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,923

    My Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer started leaking fuel earlier this season. I don't use it much at this time of the year (most of my work is mowing), but the last time out, I realized I need to take care of the matter. I loosened the fuel tank and believe the problem is the insert in the bottom of the tank, fuel line goes inside the tank to the pickup filter, the other end is attached to a fuel tube leading to the engine.

    Has anybody made such a replacement? From what I saw when I loosened the tank, making the install could be troublesome (no room to work, dealing with primer tube, etc). I have the replacement and plan to make the install this coming weekend.

    If anybody has any experience, with tips on how to make the replacement, I would like to hear. Often the simple jobs turn into frustrating, time-consuming tasks.
  2. Roger

    Roger LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,923

    ... having received so many tips I couldn't possibly make a mistake, I tackled the job this evening...

    I took off the tank and confirmed the access was limited. Not wanting to fight the battle, I decided to take off the cowling so that the tank had more freedom to move and I could get unobstructed access to the insert.

    I've taken off the cowling numerous times for off-season maintainance, ... checking exhaust ports, cleaing the engine, etc. Taking off the cowling requires taking off the air cleaner and the taking out the spark plug. When attempting to take off the wire from the spark plug, the wire didn't come off easily like usual. I continued to tug on it with my bare hands, and soon I discovered the wire was in my hand, but the coil connector to the plug was still firmly attached to the spark plug. Corrosion had bonded the connector to the end of the spark plug. The boot was still on the wire, but the connection clearly out of the boot, and off the wire.

    The connector is a spring wound wire, and I saw two legs on the end, each about 1/4" long. I assumed that I had broken off the connector from the wire. Looking at the other end of the wire, I saw it was molding into the housing of the ignition coil. I envisioned a major time sink, plus an expense to get a new coil with attached wire!

    After some fussing with it, and closer examination, I realized the connector was never part of the wire inside the covering. I saw a hole in the covering about 3/16" from the end, and the end of the wire/covering was sliced sharp. It was clear the connector did not break off the end. However, I didn't see a way to reconfigure the connector back onto the casing, so that the connector could pick up the current from the coil.

    I did notice the end of the second leg off the spring wound connector was sharp. After a long time in trying to understand how it went back together, I assumed the point of the second leg was to penetrate the casing, so that it intercepted the internal wire, taking the current from the coil.

    I spent a long time trying to get it the connector tucked down inside the boot, AND getting the pointed leg of the connector pushed deep through the covering. I was unsure if the contact was made and if the wire would pass current to the plug. In the end, it doesn't fit quite right. The connector should fit nicely inside the 90 degree angle of the boot, but it doesn't quite make it in my final configuration.

    I refitted the cowling, put the plug and air cleaner back, put some fuel into the tank, and tried to fire the engine ... it came to life immediately. Obviously, the connector is passing current, even though it isn't attched quite right.

    Can anybody give me some advice on how to make these connections? There must be a simple way to get the connector fitted properly inside the boot, and be making electrical contact with the internal wire.

    Oh yes ... installing the insert into the tank was a snap! Removal of the old one, taking out the "floppy tail" with the fuel pickup was easy. Putting the old fuel pickup on the new "floppy tail" and making the fuel line connection outside the tank was easy. Removing the cowling made the task easier, but, looking back, probably was not necessary. Since the insert went into place to easily, even in cramped working conditions, the insert could have been done without much hassle.

    I fired the HS80 up, trimmed bushes at my house for about 45 minutes to be sure it wasn't going to quit after five minutes. And, no leaking fuel! Yea! Where the old one was leaking was not obvious, but the new one solved the problem.

    ... out for a Saturday morning session of bush trimming tomorrow. But, I'm still wondering how to get the connector properly inserted into the boot.

Share This Page