Stihl HS81 help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 06HD BOSS, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

Brand new trimmer, just used for the 1st time today. After running for about 20min i noticed there is oil spitting out of the exhaust. Not only that but after the 20min of running it started sputtering and bogging in and out. Ran it for another 30min still spitting oil. Cant make it to the dealer any time soon. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. 06HD BOSS

anyone? .

3. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Well I haven't seen it on low hour machines yet, but these act very strangely when the exhaust screen becomes plugged. Most 2 strokes get quiet and loose power when plugged. For some reason this machine acts very different when the screen is plugged. I have seen a couple of these and had the service rep mention a few others with poor running that had plugged or carboned up screens. The key is a good oil, use synthetic - Amsoil or Stihl Ultra HP. Fuel spitting out the exhaust on yours sounds like a bad needle /seat in the carb. or perhaps the tank isn't venting correctly and is building pressure, causing the unit to "flood" or act like it is running very rich. I would make the trip to your dealer a priority. Keep us posted.

4. 06HD BOSS

thanks for the info. i run stihl ultra sythetic in everything. i guess ill be bringing it to the dealer.

5. 06HD BOSS

good call ridin around. the dealer replaced the tank vent, also leaned it out a little. thanks again

6. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: glad to help