Stihl HS81R better than predecessor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yuanding, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

Stihl phased out their longstanding HS75 and HS80 hedgetrimmers a couple of years ago and brought out the HS81R and HS81T. I notice that these two new models have less horsepower than the older models; in fact they have the same as the entry level HS45, which is aimed partly at the domestic/residential market.
    Can any one tell me how these new models compare with the old HS75 and 80? Do the new ones in practice have noticeably less power than the old ones? Also has anyone experience of both of the new models? The T revs at higher speed and is supposed to be more for trimming neat hedges, whereas the R revs lower and can tackle thicker branches. Do I go with Stihl or buy and Echo?

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i havent used one, but looking at them at the dealership i like them for the fact that the exhaust is aimed toward the blades. no more 2-stroke smoke in my face!!!

3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the HS81T for about two years with no complaints. They work great for me. I have no experience with the older model to compare to though.