1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl HT101 opinions.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Oct 23, 2004.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys!! I am new to this forum and I have already learned so much from you "veterans". So now I am calling on some more of your expertise. I have picked up a few accounts recently that require alot of extended length hedge trimming and pole pruning. Is the Stihl HT101 a good choice for these needs. All of my other equipment is Stihl and I really like it (maybe not the BR420Cs) and I would like to stay with Stihl because my local dealer is heavy into Stihl. I appreciate the advice in advance. Please bare with me as I am learning everyday.

2. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The HT 101 is the telescoping shaft - extended pole SAW.

It is an excellent piece of equipment , but it is not recomended for running anything other than the chain saw head.

You mentioned using it as a "hedge clipper" and Stihl does not recomend that you put that attachment on the telescoping splined aluminum drive shaft that is used in the HT 101.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We had one at work, was excellent. Also had Power Pruner too, also good. I liked the Sthil better for weight and oiling mechanism but liked power pruner better for less break downs and chain adjustments. We tried to use the Sthil for hedge trimming with attachment, didn't work well. Too bulky for most situations we had. We had a seperate pole hedge trimmer for miost jobs that worked well, it was an Echo.
  4. Sam-Ohio

from Ohio

I think you have the two reversed. I would say the Stihl's power head is built all around better than the Echo Power Pruner, and would be much less likely to break down and since the oiler works better , it should have FEWER chain adjustments to make.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

No stick by my original post. Power pruner saw the shop less. It could be that it was just the chain itself that caused the extra adjustments. Both are good machines, I was merely telling my experinces w/them.
  6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

Today I needed a pole saw for a job. My echo broke down after two years of hard labor I went to get a saw and brought back a stihl 101. I can't understand how a pole saw so large could bog down on limbs that were only 10 inch in diameter and the thing vibrated so badly. Is this normal? If so no more pole saws from stihl. (Echo rules in my book.)
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I've had the stihl telescopic saw bog out as well.. I thoght I was the only one and the branches were like only 3-5" ..

I have a shindaiwa pole saw and that stupid thing bogged ou on branches that were 3-5" as well!!
    :angry: :angry: :angry:
  8. Sam-Ohio

from Ohio

The HT 101 Stihl is currently using the 31.4 cc - 4 cycle engine. This engine is especially high torque , and has a good bit more lugging power than the 25 cc two cycle engine used to have.

Is this "bogging" down that you are experiencing caused by the engine slowing up, or is it the chain pinching and binding and the clutch slipping ? In other words what exactly does bogging down mean ?

If it is pinching and binding of the bar and chain that is causing the problem, I think that it helps to undercut the limb first, then cut into the top side of the limb and saw it off.

Stihl also offers an optional 30 deg angle drive gear case for the saw head. This allows you to cut into the top of the limbs at a flatter angle and keeps the bar from being pinched so easily.

Echo is now offering the PPT 260 model pole pruner that is a big improvement over the older PPT 230 model. They have improved and strengthened the saw attachment, are using more magnessium parts and less plastic, and have made the drive shaft much stronger. The older pruner had a 23 cc engine and the new one is a 25.4 cc engine.

The trouble is that it still has much less torque than the Stihl engine has, and the unit is heavier than the Stihl - but it also is longer than the Stihl when fully extended by about 16 inches.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not an owner of the HT101. But I am a big fan of Stihl equipment for many reasons. But I'm NOT your typical brand loyalist and I do not 'bleed orange.' There are many great products on the market today. End of story there...

But I would like to say there are 1,150 of your fellow Americans at the factory in Virginia Beach that would appreciate your business. 1,150 American workers who know the hard working hands that feed them. Just take a look at this quote....

"The professional landscaper is to us now what the professional logger was 20 years ago. The landscaper has replaced him."
    Peter Mueller
    Executive Vice President

Now.... for those of you who are a little unhappy with this product, please know this is not a personal thing.... but there is a heck of a lot of technique involved in cutting and pruning with saws. But don't take my word for it. Spend just a day this winter with a veteran logger or veteran tree service. As a kid I used to help dad cut timber during the winter months. I only absorbed a fraction of his knowledge and technique. But it was also there in those woods that Stihl earned our respect, the hard way. Our livelyhoods depended on them to deliver the goods when the timber market was 'prime' and on the home front, the winters would have been dang cold because wood was our only source of heat.

If you really think it's a product issue and needs improvement, by all means pick up the phone and give your regional Stihl End User Rep a call. That's what they are there for and the idea Stihl was founded on....

"Mr. Stihl once made a comment to me. He said, A final design which is successful, can still become better."
    Paul Bruggeman
    Director of manufacturing