Stihl, Husquvarna, Echo, and Cub are my choices but which one?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mike62, May 2, 2005.

1. mike62

mike62 LawnSite Member

I want to replace my curved shaft Husquvarna with a straight shaft and the choices stated in the title are what is available in my area. I would like the following:
    1. Straight shaft
    2. Easy start
    3. Easy line change (could easily replace #2)
    4. Lightweight
    5. Heavy line at least a .095 maybe?

Those are the main things I want. Most all the above mfgs. retail for right at $199.00 around here so price is not that much an issue as long as it meets as many of my needs as possible. Appreciate any input. Thank you.

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

mike62,
    Im very satisfied with my Stihl (see link). It has all what your looking for #'s 1-5.
    http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS80R.html

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. mike62

mike62 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Stihl is actually the one I was leaning towards. My uncle swears by his just wanted some additional confirmation.

5. dfischer58

dfischer58 LawnSite Member

I too own a stihl. blowers, chainsaw, and trimmer. While I love them, I don't like the string spool on the stihl. To small, holds very little string.

I'd be checking into that. It has, perhaps, changed.

6. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

I own Husquvarna and Echo timmers.They both do a good job.I have a rapid load head on the echo .Very easy to load as you just put pre cut pieces in the head.The head is adaptable to most trimmers.

I just saw a video on I think its shidawa trimmers.They have an awesome new easy loading head Just run the line through the spool till you get the cutting length and then just turn the head and it loads the line right off the line spool.Then just cut the line at the spool to the required length.Done.