Stihl Junkies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Nov 18, 2006.

1. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

not to kill any junkie's fix,but that 106 trimmer is around 15 years old and heavy. still a great trimmer very heavy duty a good brush cutter by all rights.parts can still be orderd and well worth fixing.i belive the 108 took its place in the early 90's then came the 120. pm me and i will pull the spec's from my dealer website

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I love stihl equipment except for the br600. I have 10 4-mix trimmers, 1 stick edger, 1 chainsaw, 3 extended reach 4-mix hedge trimmers, and 3 junk br600s.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm not sure I'm junkie or not. My list is very small but I may have something that is worth extra points. My Stihl list is as follows: Saws-3, 025,MS260PRO & HT101. Edger- FC110. Blower-BR600. The newest thing I got off of Stihl's site and it's a chainsaw ring tone for your cell phone. Clothing wise I have 1 hat and 2 shirts. The shirts have the Sthil name and also my dealer's name.

Rob

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to start using that kind of oil.

Stihl seems to be a controversial subject. You gotta love em or hate em. I like stihl. A little more than redmax now.

5. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

:laugh: :laugh: I drink Stihl bar oil for breakfast!!:laugh: :laugh:

6. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I buy all Stihl accept for my one Red Max 8000 back pack blower. Iv always had great luck with Stihl. There high quality commercial grade equipment. Its to bad a lot of guys don't like the BR600 because I'm seriously considering buying one. Iv had nothing but trouble with my Red Max 8000.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Been using stihl products for about 10 years. Just had my first repair, broken pull cord on a trimmer. That's it!

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I guess you could say I am a Stihl junkie too.

Generally when you compare any of their units with what is supposed to be in the same class from another brand... Stihl is usually heavier. But their stuff is built tuff and will take the beating of commercial use.

The key to getting good engine performance from any two-stroke engine is using good clean fuel at 89 octane or above and high quality mix oil. From newm do that with the fuel, remove the spark arrestor screens and follow the starting proceedure in the manual and you will have no problem at all with starting or performance. I never have any issues unless something needs replacement or repair.

I've been satisfied with their products... I'm just at a point now where I am carefully laying back and waiting to see how things go with all the changes Stihl has been making in recent times.

9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

All Stihl products here:
    2 -line trimmers
    1 -edger
    1 -hand held blower
    1 -BP blower
    1- hedge trimmer
    1 -chain saw
    1 -ear phones

Most all start on 1 - 3 pulls. I use Stihl 2 cycle oil and 93 octane fuel.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I hear the 8001 has resolved those problems with the 8000.