Stihl KM 110R

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bstep.1, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Bstep.1

Bstep.1 LawnSite Member

I have been looking at purchasing a edger to start out the season. I am running a 1 man crew. This seems to be a nice unit and can use multiple attachments. The initial purchase is more then just buying the FC 110, however each additional purchase would be much less as I wouldn't be purchased the engine for each piece of equipment. Any one have experience with this unit and any negative views on purchasing it this way rather then individually.
  2. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

however each additional purchase would be much less

From what i compared it was cheaper to buy each piece.

You can pickup a Echo Edger (Stick) for $219.00, our local dealer had them for $199.99 this past week.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Certianly a neat concept but it's really time consuming switching power heads all the time like that. I think it's best to have a dedicated trimmer and dedicated stick edger. Now you COULD make one of those the KM110R and then also get some other gadget like a pole saw or hedge trimmer to use with it... Something you wouldn't need to have another small engine sitting around all the time for with gas going stale in it between uses.
  4. Bstep.1

Bstep.1 LawnSite Member

I guess I need to find a few more dealers in town as I did not see them that cheap. At least not for a straight shaft which is what everyone recommends that I have seen on the site.
  5. Bstep.1

Bstep.1 LawnSite Member

So I was going to head over to an echo or redmax dealer today. I found that their is not a redmax dealer in my area. Their is an echo dealer, but when I went to the location listed they had moved and the name had changed. I get the feeling that if I go w/ an Echo that I am not going to have good support.

I went back to the Stihl dealer in my area who has been very good to work with. I changed out one of the power heads to see how time consuming it would be and found that it could be changed out in under a minute.

I haven't made the purchase yet, but it seems to be a good setup.
  6. WH Lawn Care

WH Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have the KM 110R and I love it. It takes only a minute to change out the attachments. I have the trimmer, hedge trimmers, edger and power broom. I just got it this year and in one day paid off the power broom by brooming gravel out of lawns. At $45 an account for gravel removal it was well worth it. Then again, I live in Pa where they put a half ton of gravel in your front yard from plowing.
  7. scagchevy4life

scagchevy4life LawnSite Member

It is byfar the best purchase i have ever made. I have a stihl fs85 and the km 110R. The FS85 is sick machine. But the km makes so you can interchange in less than 30 seconds, one engine, less problems, plenty of torque to do anything. (ive cut tree down wit that baby) so i think it should suite ur needs:weightlifter:
  8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a KM85R with several attachments. I had some I bought a KM55R as a backup, and now I trim with the 55 and edge with the 85 so usually I don't have to switch attachments. Either one will run any of my attachments, and the best part is if either one goes down I'm not out of commission, I just use one and switch attachments until the other is fixed. My 85 is giving me problems, so I'm thinking of buying a 110 (just the powerhead). These tools get a bad rap sometimes but I think they're a great option for solo operators.
  9. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have the Stihl but I do have an old toro that I picked up real cheap for edging and hedge clipping. I also bought a pole saw for it just a while back. I love it. It is not very time consuming changing the items and it turned out to be a whole lot cheaper. I have had some problems with the button on some of the attachments...but I blame that on Toro, not the design.
  10. bradluvsjesus

bradluvsjesus LawnSite Member

i have the km110! i just got it! it is awesome, well worth the money. i could hold my breath the entire time it takes to change attachments, easily. it is great, i highly recommend it. even though it is a big investment, it is worth it, because in the long run it will keep going and going and going. stihl is some of, if not, the best. if you get this you won't regret it, as long as you get yards.:laugh: don't buy redmax, it's trash and hard to come by good servicers, i personally own a nice echo trimmer- not enough power or durability. this machine is amazing, get it dude!!! (oh yeah, whatever you do, do not , DO NOT, get the homeowner version):laugh: :laugh: :waving: