Stihl KM 130 R

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, Jul 22, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Is anyone familiar with this power head...it appears its the same power head as the professional weed wacker and edger. I have the homeowner power head and really like its quick change attachments but want to upgrade the power head to a more powerful unit. My reasoning behind this is that I will have a backup power head in the event of an engine failure.

I currently have the following attachments:

Weed Eater
    Edger (Curved shaft...need to upgrade to straight shaft)
    Tiller (Works great in small beds and around flowers)

I am looking to purchasing the pole saw and hedge trimmer.

2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It is a commercial powerhead with almost 2hp.

3. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a KM 85R, and I love that unit. Heck, I love all my Stihl Equipment. :cool2:

4. cgaengineer

It is a 2 stroke right?

5. cgaengineer

I have the 55R so that my reason for upgrading (Lack of power)

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

It is the 4 mix. I have KM 85s and KM 110. For dependability and ease of service perfer the 85s.

7. cgaengineer

How do you know if the Stilhs are 4 mix or 2 strokes? Is the 85 a 2 stroke? All I see on their website is "Caring for nature" which tells me they must be 4 stroke.

8. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

All of the commercial kombi powerheads are 4-Mix.
    It is a hybrid engine that offers you more power and a lot more torque than 2-stroke.
    You still use 50:1 mix in the unit.

9. cgaengineer

That being said would you advise to purchase a 4 cycle Stihl or a 2 cycle from another maker?

10. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

The KM-100 is a commercial unit. I dont know for sure if your other tools will fit the commercial units or not you could ask the dealer. Most people tend to go with the KM110 I believe the number is. Its lighter and has hte power to run the attachments. For example my extended reach pole saws are powered by the 110 string trimmer engine. I believe that would be the one unit that grinds up the most power and I have no complaints. I had a 130 string trimmer and returned it I wasnt pleased with the way it ran. The 110's are the unit that I prefer from stihl. Most good full service Stihl dealers will even let you handle and in some cases run the machines, maybe not trim but at least get a feel for them. I would suggest trying them out. Its what I do on rainy days..we are rained out in central n.j. today.